Thread: P59 Engine Segment Swap - Flex Fuel Conversion Help

Tuner in Training

P59 Engine Segment Swap - Flex Fuel Conversion Help

I am having some trouble with doing a engine segment swap to allow a flex fuel tune to run my truck.

I've done a lot of research on the subject, but have found very little information about people who have succeeded in doing this swap. And the people who have been able to get it to work have posted very little to no information about how they were able to get it working.

I have a 12579045 OS on the original 03 S10 P59 PCM. I found a flex fuel tune from a 03 Tahoe that I could use to do the engine segment swap.

Attached are the tunes.

MyTune003 - Current tune I am running
    MyTune003_Flex Fuel - Tahoe Engine & Engine Diagnostic segments swapped and all parameters updated to match my current tune
    03 Tahoe 5.3L Flex - Tune I used for the engine and engine diagnostic segments

I also attached a picture of the DTC's I got when running the truck.

After flashing (Write Entire) the segment swapped tune it sounds like it is not running on all cylinders and there is a large difference between bank 1 and bank 2 fueling. I then flashed it back (Write Calibration) and the P0315 DTC still showed up, but ran normal. Then after doing another flash (Write Entire) with my current tune it runs just like before.

I'm really just looking for any help from someone who has done this type of swap. I could go on and on about all the research I have done on this, but a lot of it is not very detailed so it has not provided much help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Config file attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so I discovered the crank learning option and thought that might be it so I gave it a shot.

I was able to see/feel the fuel cut and let the rpm's drop, but it still runs like it is missing and was still getting the P0315 DTC even after doing the crank learning.

Really not sure what's going on as I swapped all the information over from my V6 tune into the 5.3L flex tune.

My next step would be emailing hptuners support as the engine segment swap must not be swapping all the relevant information or they need to allow more parameters to be edited.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so the next thing I can think of is to flash the entire 5.3 Flex Fuel Tune after making all the changes to match my current tune. This will require 2 credits to license the file, but since they just brought back VIN changes with Version 3.2 I should be able to change my VIN to the correct one for my truck.

I am not positive if this will work or not, but I really hope as I don't like the idea of wasting my credits.

I'll report back after testing.

You are trying to run a V6 on a V8 operating system/segment... Wont work.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    They have the same OS.

Have you done what I am trying to accomplish or know anyway that it can work?

Senior Tuner
    Never tried going backwards but I know a v6 o/s will not run a v8. I think you will have better success finding a full size truck 4.3 file that has the flex fuel switches and adapt that. Any 4.3 2005 to early 2007 should work although I have not tried this.

Tuner in Training
    My V6 OS has the flex fuel switches, but I couldn't find any information that they would work for sure. Some said they worked, but others said they didn't. Guess I can try that next.

The base operating system is the same, however there are many things in the background you don't have access to like inputs/outputs, reluctor wheel count, firing offset, options switches, table data etc. Simply segment swapping the v8 flex fuel truck into your tune is basically copying all of the background data also.

The only way it will work is if you find a compatible V6 flex fuel tune to use. The V8 stuff just has too many differences in the background to work correctly.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400