Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OMG what did I do... cammed my daily '10 'maro and dont know where to start tuning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Yep. For closed loop MAF tuning use fuel trims..

Here is a step by step thread I did that should help. Let me know if you have any questions. You HAVE to be logging mass airflow FREQUENCY and mass airflow MASS FLOW RATE in order to do MAF corrections. Most people miss the frequency one in the beginning.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...er-V3&p=419231
    Ok, should I follow this exactly? Because I did this a couple weeks ago and was told it was the wrong table I needed lol. And do you mean I am making 2 of these, but one with Mass Flow Rate? Thanks!

Follow the tutorial, post what you get (and a log taken after you've added mass air flow frequency and mass flow rate to your list of channels) and I'll check it out and see if it's right or not
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

camaro log file - 20160721 1737.hpl
    Follow the tutorial, post what you get (and a log taken after you've added mass air flow frequency and mass flow rate to your list of channels) and I'll check it out and see if it's right or not

Here it is. I hope its what you need lol. Thanks

You aren't logging mass airflow frequency, which makes it impossible to tune the MAF

Add that to the list of channels, take one more log.. and post it. And I'll give it a go

You aren't logging mass airflow frequency, which makes it impossible to tune the MAF

Add that to the list of channels, take one more log.. and post it. And I'll give it a go
    camaro log file - 20160722 1039.hpl
    log layout.Layout.xml

OK, here is last log. So frustrated. Also posted layout because something is wrong. I have added maf error and maf frequency to the chart and they are on the chart but showing no data as I'm logging. Also on the chart is injector duty and KR but also showing no data as I am logging. Have no clue if its something I did or a glitch or what but I am seriously losing hope with this stuff. Please help, I'm at my wits end!! Thank you

I'll look at it when I get home

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Dude, I don't know how many times I can say this

YOU AREN'T LOGGING MASS AIRFLOW FREQUENCY!!!!!!!

You're trying to use MAF FREQUENCY in the MAF graph you have setup, but it doesn't have any MAF frequency data to work with because you aren't logging it. If it's not in the list of channels then it isn't being recorded and it cannot be used.

Add it to the list of channels. Nothing related to tuning the MAF will work without this.

Right click in the channels list, hit add channel. Type in mass air. Find the one that says "mass airflow sensor [FREQUENCY]". Double click on it

Take another log and post it.

MAF FREQUENCY.PNG
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-22-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Dude, I don't know how many times I can say this

YOU AREN'T LOGGING MASS AIRFLOW FREQUENCY!!!!!!!

You're trying to use MAF FREQUENCY in the MAF graph you have setup, but it doesn't have any MAF frequency data to work with because you aren't logging it. If it's not in the list of channels then it isn't being recorded and it cannot be used.

Add it to the list of channels. Nothing related to tuning the MAF will work without this.

Right click in the channels list, hit add channel. Type in mass air. Find the one that says "mass airflow sensor [FREQUENCY]". Double click on it

Take another log and post it.

MAF FREQUENCY.PNG
    Holy mother of the good Lord Jesus... thats what I was missing the whole freakin' time! I thought by logging you meant putting it on the chart or graph, I had no idea it needed to be "activated" (for lack of a better word). Ok well here is the last log I just did

camaro log file - 20160722 1039.hpl

Woohoo!!

Here's an updated layout for you to try, but it looks like adding that channel fixed what you had already going... I just cleaned things up and fixed a few small things

In order to get injector duty cycle to work add injector pulse width to your channels list and it'll start working.

log layout2.Layout.xml

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Woohoo!!

Here's an updated layout for you to try, but it looks like adding that channel fixed what you had already going... I just cleaned things up and fixed a few small things

In order to get injector duty cycle to work add injector pulse width to your channels list and it'll start working.

log layout2.Layout.xml
    Sweet, looks a lot better like that, I was trying to do that but could'nt figure it out. So now I can start by logging and doing the copy and paste thing with the maf table and multiply by percent?

Potential Tuner
    Google
    Engine tuning 101 Mega Mechatronics.
    They have a 5 part video series

Quote Originally Posted by bloodcamarosexmagic View Post
    Sweet, looks a lot better like that, I was trying to do that but could'nt figure it out. So now I can start by logging and doing the copy and paste thing with the maf table and multiply by percent?
    Yes. Just be careful in making sure the data you're getting and changes you're making are "sane". Check out the 2D graph view--the MAF curve should stay smooth and with the same general shape as the factory one. Apply trends you're seeing to cells that you aren't hitting since you usually won't hit every cell on every log unless you're on a dyno. If you have no data for one cell for example, but the ones on each side of it are -5%, then you probably need to change the one in the middle by -5% as well.

I've seen some seriously bad tunes from people blindly copying/pasting

Yes. Just be careful in making sure the data you're getting and changes you're making are "sane". Check out the 2D graph view--the MAF curve should stay smooth and with the same general shape as the factory one. Apply trends you're seeing to cells that you aren't hitting since you usually won't hit every cell on every log unless you're on a dyno. If you have no data for one cell for example, but the ones on each side of it are -5%, then you probably need to change the one in the middle by -5% as well.

I've seen some seriously bad tunes from people blindly copying/pasting
    Makes sense, very useful tip. Ok so my log looks rich basically across the table where I am closed loop= less than 30 percent throttle. And then there are spots where I went 50 percent throttle which means it commanded open loop and it is showing lean in those spots. Now will I still copy and paste the whole graph to maf table even though it went into open loop and still do the whole table? And where it did go open loop and read lean does that mean its reading lean stoich or is it lean compared to commanded PE? Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    The way I understand it is that your PE tables rely on your closed loop fuel trims to be within that stoich margin. If your closed loop trims are lean then PE will be lean. I think that's how it works anyway. Lol. I'm were you are now, just tweaking my stft's and getting ready for VE tables...... ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by vvtbeast View Post
    The way I understand it is that your PE tables rely on your closed loop fuel trims to be within that stoich margin. If your closed loop trims are lean then PE will be lean. I think that's how it works anyway. Lol. I'm were you are now, just tweaking my stft's and getting ready for VE tables...... ugh..
    Yes, I think thats a good way to describe how it works. I am just asking, since I am trying to tune closed loop first, if when I am copying and pasting am I also changing the part of the maf frequency table where it went into open loop. And dude I am NOT touching VE tables until I have maf and timing 100% down. I don't want to screw too many variables up and have to start over lol. Thanks for input!

Tuner in Training
    You and me both!! Lol. I'm just about ready to switch to SD only as my MAF trims are at -1 to -3 but I'm having issues with my torque managment pulling timing on me for reasons unknown during normal steady state cruising... soon as I figure that out I'm moving on to SD...... but reading your thread here has help me bunch so far!

Tuner in Training
    And to anwser your question, I beleive you don't really want to copy and trims you recorded while in PE and paste those. Only ones that are closed loop. So any trims you recorded while in PE mode you don't use for MAF trims.

Thanks for all the great help so far! Now because my log went into closed loop being as I went over 30 percent throttle a couple times, do I only copy and paste the portions under 30 percent throttle or the whole table is fine? Or do I do another log and keep the throttle under 30 percent the whole time?
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-25-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Just add a filter that ignores data if it's in PE mode

The throttle %'s used in the PE enable table and the throttle #'s displayed never seem to line up, so just that you got to 30% throttle really doesn't mean much to me.

Did commanded AFR go richer when you got up over 30% throttle?

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Just add a filter that ignores data if it's in PE mode

The throttle %'s used in the PE enable table and the throttle #'s displayed never seem to line up, so just that you got to 30% throttle really doesn't mean much to me.

Did commanded AFR go richer when you got up over 30% throttle?
    OK, been googling and forum searching for days because I didn't want to bug you but just couldn't find the info on how to add the filter to the graph to filter PE. And to answer your question, it looks like at some points over 30 percent it went rich and some points leaned out so that must coincide with what you said about them not lining up. So if you could tell me how to add the filter that would be awesome! And here is the log: camaro log file - 20160722 1039.hpl Thanks!