Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: erod 5.3 check engine code

Tuner in Training

erod 5.3 check engine code

I am very new to tuning but i built my daily driver an 88 landcruiser with the new 5.3 erod. I have attached a scan file and my tune file. I keep tripping a lean code on both banks at idle. it is the factory tune but it seems my long term fuel trim is very high. thanks for any help.third scan.hplstocktune.hptthird scan.hplstocktune.hpt

High is a bit of an understatement

As a very rough correction increase the entire MAF calibration table by 20% (Multiply by 1.2). That will richen it up some.

That will hopefully at least get you back to where it isn't throwing codes.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the suggestion, would you give me some guidance on how to do that. I know that is a silly question but i don't want to mess anything up.

Go to engine-->airflow-->General

Under "MAF Calibration" it will say "Airflow vs. Frequency". Click on that

Highlight all of the cells in that table

Up at the top of that window you'll see an equal sign, +, x, etc. Then a blank box. Put 1.2 into the box and hit the "X". That will multiply everything you have selected by 1.2 which increases it by 20%.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    thanks for helping a newbe, then do i just write to car

(Yes, you would then save and write that to the ECU)

did you buy a kit like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19258004? And if so, are you running the supplied manifolds/cat pipes with the 02's in stock location? If so I"m confused as to how the pre-loaded tune is so far off..

Quote Originally Posted by Bdyer View Post
    thanks for helping a newbe, then do i just write to car
    Yes. Just do write calibration, no need to do write entire most of the time

Tuner in Training
    yes that is what i ordered and i am confused on why it is off so much as well. i am going to get a smoke test in the morning to confirm i don't have any intake air leaks.

If it's using a card style MAF then the size of the tube it's in can make a huge difference

Tuner in Training
    yes it is using a card style and i am using a 4" tube, but that is the size of the air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdyer View Post
    yes that is what i ordered and i am confused on why it is off so much as well. i am going to get a smoke test in the morning to confirm i don't have any intake air leaks.
    I would hesitate to monkey too far with the tune in that case and look for a mechanical / setup issue, I would hate to see you compensating a huge amount in the tune for an issue like that and have it come back to bite you. I'm not aware if the tune in the ECU is supposed to be "run Ready" but I would assume so with a kit like that where everything is "known" assuming you're using the manifolds/cat setup supplied.

just my uninformed 2cents.

Tuner in Training
    I am double checking everything mech first. I have the wix 77373 filter regulator and it is holding 58 psi fuel preasure. i double check the intake and it is all good. i am going to smoke test the manifold in the morning to insure i have no air leaks. i don't know what else to look for beyond that. i don't want to alter the tune unless i have to but right now it is way out. if anyone has any other ideas i am open for suggestions.

Anything going on that would lead the 02's to read incorrectly? AKA are you running the supplied manifolds and have exhaust on it at this point? I'm unfortunately not informed enough to make other suggestions and will now watch and hope it's something simple you stumble upon.

Tuner in Training
    manifolds, o2's cats and rear o2's are from the kit and installed. i did have to modify the bend in the down pipes and rotate the rear 02s slightly to get it to fit in the frame rails and clear the trans.

Tuner in Training
    guys,
    i update my tune by doing what was mentioned above. will some of you more smarter folks review and let me know what you think. One thing that struct me odd when i was modifying the maf table was the value on 11.4 did not make any sense. Please look at the tune file and let me know if this is supposed to be that different.stocktune12maf.hptforth scan.hpl

It does look better. It still needs a good bit of tuning work IMO but I think that's close enough for it to stop throwing codes. Maybe.

What are you referring to by "11.4"?

Tuner in Training
    Here is a pic of the maf tableTUNE PIC.png

Yeah that 14.9 shouldn't be there

Tuner in Training
    i found a small air leak in the trottle body, fixed now. attach is my new scan with nothing adjusted. looks like it still needs a tune though.fith scan.hpl

Yeah. Do the same thing I said earlier--increase entire MAF table 20%. Flash, let it run a few mins.. take a log and let us take a look at that

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock