Thread: 2013 Silverado 6.0L tuning

Tuner in Training

2013 Silverado 6.0L tuning

Hello,

Looking to make my truck run better. Throttle enhancement would be a huge improvement. The gas pedal can feel sluggish at times. Is there any enhancements for that?

What about fuel and timing? Will it run better with a different AFR target? Can I add timing safely?

Appreciate any pointers!

Rick

You can't just change the throttle maps however you want. It will go into reduced power mode.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    What can you change then?

You really can't do much throttle wise.. the TAC module checks to make sure the throttle blade is where it's expecting it to be (vs. throttle position) and is a separate section of the ECM that we can't get to.. so once you start changing the throttle maps it will still freak out.

Post the stock tune real quick
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    All you can do for throttle "snappiness" is to "trick" the computer into thinking it's got a smaller TB = thus making it hit the throttle map a little differently (same as modifying the throttle tables - without actually touching them)... Multiply your ETC scaler by .85 - input this new value - don't go any smaller than this- it will require tuning other things... If in the future you add forced induction, put it back to stock...

CAI will help a stock truck a lot with economy and throttle pickup as long as you install a good one... Timing will also help quite a bit... I've been able to pick up nearly 100lbft of torque down low on the new DI 6.2's with just a tune and CAI = very happy owners, but the newer ones are heavily limited......
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-26-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Think I can change mine by 5% or 10%?

That's a cool trick, didn't know you could do that

Tuning Addict
    Yours is a centrifugal blow through, so won't be instant boost during snaps - you can go 10 or 15% too... The PD blowers are where you really run into issues... Just pay attention to when it starts to pull and don't make it too small - you can wind up with a "like" affect of the min air being too high where it will want to pull slightly too aggressively on it's own

I did a write up on this not too long ago, but basically it will have side effects - some good and then some can be bad, but mainly on the PD blowers or bigger TB's...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Gotcha--makes sense. Time for some "testing"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. I'm new so bare with me on the abbreviated terms.

ECT? Engine coolant temp? Somehow I don't think that is right... Also what is CAI?

Stock tune attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Yours is a centrifugal blow through, so won't be instant boost during snaps - you can go 10 or 15% too... The PD blowers are where you really run into issues... Just pay attention to when it starts to pull and don't make it too small - you can wind up with a "like" affect of the min air being too high where it will want to pull slightly too aggressively on it's own

I did a write up on this not too long ago, but basically it will have side effects - some good and then some can be bad, but mainly on the PD blowers or bigger TB's...

Did you do that write up on here? If so do you mind posting a link? I would be interested in reading it. Thanks

So how are those 2013 truck t-bodys shaped? Do they look anything like lsa, ls3 even my older 5.3 yukon or any other gm throttle body that has that huge hump on them. I guess what im getting at is OP have you thought about porting or getting it ported? I know that helped out tremendously in regards to throttle snappiness and response. My V's throttle response with the stock throttle body was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRick View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'm new so bare with me on the abbreviated terms.

ECT? Engine coolant temp? Somehow I don't think that is right... Also what is CAI?

Stock tune attached.
    Cold air intake
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuning Addict
    Sorry - typo - I fixed it (ETC "electronic throttle control" scaler - it's usually under idle - airflow)

Porting usually does the same thing, except you "better" fix the issue with porting... Doing it via the tune just "in essence" shifts your throttle DD tables to the left because everything is calculated off of TB area - all the way down to idle airflow and transient fueling tables...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-in-RPM)/page2
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-26-2016 at 02:24 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    This is what I have.

Screenshot 2016-06-26 15.42.47.png

Tuning Addict
    Set all of those to 100 too... BUT what you want is etc scaler under Idle - Airflow...

Under Edit - View - make sure you in advanced too...

Then another thing just for throttle - Torque Management - Tip in Limiting - Disable Both master switches...

EDIT: Just looked at the tune - yours is max throttle area just above the table you clicked on above You also don't have access to tip in limiting, so don't worry about that one...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Set all of those to 100 too... BUT what you want is etc scaler under Idle - Airflow...

Under Edit - View - make sure you in advanced too...

Then another thing just for throttle - Torque Management - Tip in Limiting - Disable Both master switches...

EDIT: Just looked at the tune - yours is max throttle area just above the table you clicked on above You also don't have access to tip in limiting, so don't worry about that one...
    OK got it. Just to make sure I'm doing this right I come up with 2,915.925 for the Max Area. Prolly just round it up to 2,916.

Thanks for the pointers!

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry - typo - I fixed it (ETC "electronic throttle control" scaler - it's usually under idle - airflow)

Porting usually does the same thing, except you "better" fix the issue with porting... Doing it via the tune just "in essence" shifts your throttle DD tables to the left because everything is calculated off of TB area - all the way down to idle airflow and transient fueling tables...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-in-RPM)/page2
    Thank you sir, i just read that entire thread you linked and am curious if you would recommend a change to my ETC scaler because i went up in size on my throttle body from the stock lsa 87 mil to a ported ls7 (i think) gold blade 90 mil.

If its beneficial to change the etc scaler im still a little confused would i increase the value or lower the value. At this point my throttle is on the verge of being touchy. I kind of like it but when im in the 2 to 7 percent peddle position range (not tps) it almost seems to have a very very slight surge, but i think its because at that low of pressure on the pedal its hard to keep it stable. Hell its worth a shot just want a little clarification on what dirrection i should go. Thinking larger.

What cars used these 90 mils, zo6,s right?
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    Thank you sir, i just read that entire thread you linked and am curious if you would recommend a change to my ETC scaler because i went up in size on my throttle body from the stock lsa 87 mil to a ported ls7 (i think) gold blade 90 mil.

If its beneficial to change the etc scaler im still a little confused would i increase the value or lower the value. At this point my throttle is on the verge of being touchy. I kind of like it but when im in the 2 to 7 percent peddle position range (not tps) it almost seems to have a very very slight surge, but i think its because at that low of pressure on the pedal its hard to keep it stable. Hell its worth a shot just want a little clarification on what dirrection i should go. Thinking larger.

What cars used these 90 mils, zo6,s right?
    Yes, right now your seeing the benefits of making it smaller for regular applications, but you've got a pd blower - this is why it is best to make it like it should be on pd blowers if not slightly over You can actually make it WAY too sensitive on PD blowers - to the point that all you have to do is lightly move the pedal and it'll rip the tires loose = not as good as it sounds For example with the 108TB I have to use 8100 to stabilize it - 7900 was ripping the tires loose and causing seriously scary situations

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, right now your seeing the benefits of making it smaller for regular applications, but you've got a pd blower - this is why it is best to make it like it should be on pd blowers if not slightly over You can actually make it WAY too sensitive on PD blowers - to the point that all you have to do is lightly move the pedal and it'll rip the tires loose = not as good as it sounds For example with the 108TB I have to use 8100 to stabilize it - 7900 was ripping the tires loose and causing seriously scary situations
    Cool thanks brotha, ill get some setting from a stock ls7 and see how that does. What your describing with ripping the tires off reminds me of an ol th350/400 with to much shift kit and stall and every time it takes off or shifts it blows the tires off...geez how annoying would that be never understood how people could drive around like that, Gotta love modern powertrains

Advanced Tuner
    Turborick sorry to dominate your thread here but i wanted to update those who were watching as i changed my ETC scaler to compensate for my larger throttle body with some good unexpected results. I went from the factory setting of 5060 to the ls7 value of 5636 (roughly 11-12% increase) and it has made my throttle less touchy in the low throttle position areas. Actually has helped reduce some of the off idle surging i have been working on but hasent made my throttle feel unresponsive. Interesting it also changed my fueling just a tad as well, made it go a hair richer during cruising in the neighborhood of 1-2%...nothing major.

Thanks guys for chiming in on this thread
    Last edited by JBZ; 07-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
    Turborick sorry to dominate your thread here but i wanted to update those who were watching as i changed my ETC scaler to compensate for my larger throttle body with some good unexpected results. I went from the factory setting of 5060 to the ls7 value of 5636 (roughly 11-12% increase) and it has made my throttle less touchy in the low throttle position areas. Actually has helped reduce some of the off idle surging i have been working on but hasent made my throttle feel unresponsive. Interesting it also changed my fueling just a tad as well, made it go a hair richer during cruising in the neighborhood of 1-2%...nothing major.

Thanks guys for chiming in on this thread
    O no problem. Its all good info! Thanks for taking time to post.