Thread: Tuning my own truck Need some tips

Tuner

Tuning my own truck Need some tips

Im tuning my own truck i have a 05 5.9. I am making pretty good power but looking for some more mileage. Seen some people talking about killing post injec but i cant seem to find it. Also any other tips would be helpful. Some scanner info or lays would be sweet as well as how to use them to help tune.

Tuner in Training
    I would suggest calming down. Click on every tab in the software and ready everything on each page. Understand it or not. Know what you have and where it is. There is lots of talk about tuning strategies posted all over the net on more than one forum. Poke around, do lots of reading. When you feel confident in your decision of what needs to change then make small adjustments, test, log, repeat. Learn from the changes and decide your next step.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sasdakota View Post
    I would suggest calming down. Click on every tab in the software and ready everything on each page. Understand it or not. Know what you have and where it is. There is lots of talk about tuning strategies posted all over the net on more than one forum. Poke around, do lots of reading. When you feel confident in your decision of what needs to change then make small adjustments, test, log, repeat. Learn from the changes and decide your next step.
    Thank you. That's what i have been doing a little here a little there. The logging portion i'm not to sure how to use it to tune i have been messing with it but not really helpful. The tuning i have done so far has been good for power but not so much for fuel. I increased my time at the track by a full second from box tuner to hp.
    2005 Dodge 2500
    80% over injectors, 5" turbo back exhaust, HP Tuners, ARP head studs.
    Intake, Tater Built Turbo 67/67, Fleece 750 Powerflow CP3.
    2.5" front lvl kit, 35's on Soto 20x10s

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2000 View Post
    Thank you. That's what i have been doing a little here a little there. The logging portion i'm not to sure how to use it to tune i have been messing with it but not really helpful. The tuning i have done so far has been good for power but not so much for fuel. I increased my time at the track by a full second from box tuner to hp.
    If you INCREASED your time at the track it sounds like you should go back to your box tuner lol
    (I hope you meant decreased)

If you cant find post injection, maybe you are in basic mode?? You wont be able to see the pilot and post tables unless you are in advanced mode. There is no "on/off" check box for post injection, if you want to disable it, you need to zero out the quantities so it just doesn't work anymore.

-Mike

POST.png
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    If you INCREASED your time at the track it sounds like you should go back to your box tuner lol
    (I hope you meant decreased)

If you cant find post injection, maybe you are in basic mode?? You wont be able to see the pilot and post tables unless you are in advanced mode. There is no "on/off" check box for post injection, if you want to disable it, you need to zero out the quantities so it just doesn't work anymore.

-Mike

POST.png
    Yeah that is what i meant, my time got faster. Thank you for the help, I had found that page just wasn't sure how to go about dropping it off. I will give that a try, I am just trying to learn how HP Tuners works on these there is so much you can do. (Coming from smarty) Also with there not being any real tuning info on these yet to learn from, at least that i have found.
    2005 Dodge 2500
    80% over injectors, 5" turbo back exhaust, HP Tuners, ARP head studs.
    Intake, Tater Built Turbo 67/67, Fleece 750 Powerflow CP3.
    2.5" front lvl kit, 35's on Soto 20x10s