Thread: New guy here.

Potential Tuner

New guy here.

I am new here and I am/was an "old school" tuner. I have always enjoyed challenges and although I would be considered an "old guy" here, I do embrace new technology.
    I built a '61 Chevy Biscayne resto and powered it with a Chevy Performance LS3/525/Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. That was easy, just plug and play.
    Now I am installing a 5.3 vortec (LMG ideration out of a 2008 GMC Sierra) into a 1983 GMC pickup and... I am in California so I must make it pass smog.
    I need to do the obvious, disable vats and ???. I could send my ECM to someone but I thought it would be fun to learn how to tune in the 21st century.
    I purchased the suite, got it installed on my laptop and now I am ready to get schooled.
    I am a college professor and teach a cad program but know nothing about this program.

WHERE DO I START???

You should be able to disable the VATS system no problem and get it running. Then really you just need a good set of cat converters to pass the sniffer test.

You won't be able to "tune" around the fact that you'll need cats in this case.

Are you using the transmission from this motor too or are you running a different transmission like a TH 350, TH 400??

Other codes will have to be disabled if you are.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am using a 4L60E, not the one that came from the donor car but that is what was in it but it was 4 wheel drive.
    I purchased an aftermarket harness from PSI and did not realize it wasn't set up for any smog elements including downstream O2 sensors. I did get the complete exhaust system from the donor but removed the downstream sensors and retained the cats. I am now scabbing in the sensor wiring from the old harness and connecting everything. That should make the Referee happy but I don't even know where to go in the program to disable vats? Is there an entree level video about the program to do really basic stuff like that?

"If someone else can do it I can do it, it just might take a lot longer"

Tuner in Training
    it will be best to purchase the tuning school gm level 1 .. I searched and waisted a lot of time finally bought the class.. well worth the cash, to disable vats got to editor system general you will see it just hit disable and write tune

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    I assume you get an exhaust gas anal-izer actually hooked to your car for inspection. You could set your emissions related DTC's to: 3 NO ERROR REPORTED like the rest of U.S. and run a dump pipe kit from Summitt or whoever else. Your PCM would'nt know you're driving around town "dirty" while it's reporting passing status the whole time and you can switch the dump pipe to actually run exhaust through the cats for the anal-izer but only during your little visits to uncle Hitlers house, I mean the inspection station.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 06-25-2016 at 03:08 AM. Reason: No, wait I really meant uncle Hitlers house!