Thread: gen4 to gen3 swap

Tuner

gen4 to gen3 swap

is it only rewiring and VIN change to swap to those PCMs ?
    i'd rather preffer to use SD with RTT feature then VVE and log style tuning. so do i just rewire connectors or any sensor need to be changed to or maybe it is not possible?

best regards

Advanced Tuner
    What specific engine and transmission are you working with ?

Tuner
    all LS engines and both auto and manual trans, just looking to convert all customers cars to be RTT tunable

best regards

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wasyl View Post
    all LS engines and both auto and manual trans, just looking to convert all customers cars to be RTT tunable

best regards
    Saying that they are “LS engines” does not mean much. That is why I asked you for specific details, so that I could provide you with a more specific answer.

So here is a general answer …

Gen 4 engines use a 58x CKP and a 4x CMP. These use an ECM (engine control module), and with automatic transmissions an additional TCM (transmission control module) is used.

To use a PCM (powertrain control module) designed for a Gen 3 engine (24x CKP and 1x CMP) to control a Gen 4 engine, will require a Lingenfelter box to convert these signals. Your existing wiring harness will likely have 100 or so wires going to the ECM – using Molex terminals (if an E38 or E67 ECM). To convert these for use with a PCM means cutting off the Molex terminals and crimping on Micro-Pack 100W terminals – that were used with the PCM.

The Gen 4 knock sensors won’t work with the PCM – so you will need to install Gen 3 knock sensors.

The Gen 4 throttle body is DBW, and controlling this with a PCM will require an X-link converter box.

The PCM can control 4 speed automatic transmissions, but will not control 6 speed automatic transmissions.

The PCM has a 512 g/s hard limit on the MAF sensor.

The bottom line is that this would be a great deal of work (and cost), just to avoid learning how to tune a Gen 4 controller (E38 / E67).
    Last edited by Jon S.; 06-18-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Tuner
    excelent asnwer, thanks a milion Jon S.

best regards