Thread: Need help with VVT

Tuner

Need help with VVT

I am wondering if someone will explain what need to be done in order to tune an e38 VVT engine. What I should log and what kind of changes need made for and aftermarket cam. Getting a cam over advance code right now. If someone could give me a run down on what to do, how to tune Ve table properly or is it all the same as tuning a non vvt engine. I just like to know how to do things before I go into it. I can not find much on tuning an
    E38. Thanks in advance

Tuner
    here is what i have done just deleted cat codes and cats alittle bit of torque management and set up for VE tuning Attachment 60040

Tuner
    Nobody interested?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    your post is maybe a bit confused.

what motor is it

the car had vvt and you removed vvt?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    your post has made me a bit confused
    Corrected!

I had a msg typed out the other day...then re-read your post and realized i was not responding to what you were asking. I dont know much about VVT cams but i would guess that if you put in a bigger traditional non variable cam you would need to find a tune for any number of vehicles and copy over the appropriate settings. With that said i wouldnt know which ones you need to use from what vehicle...but there are alot of folks here that are brilliant and could probably chime in if that is what your actually asking???

If your pcm thinks its a variable cam but its not i can imagine your pcm is getting unwanted results.

I would also say that standard VE tuning would be the way to go.
    Last edited by JBZ; 06-19-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    2010 CTS-V A6, Airaid CAI, 2.4 pulley, ported ls7 throttle body, ID850s, ARH 1-7/8" headers and X pipe, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, Elite catch can, ZL1 lid and Track Attack HX

Tuner
    Sorry guys I thought I put more info than that.
    The truck is 2010 gmc 5.3 my buddy put a aftermarket vvt cam and headers in. I can get the specs on the cam if needed. I would like to know the proper way of tuning so I don't end up with P to v issues. Thanks

Tuner
    need help please?
    2011 SCSB Boosted/Forged 5.3

Tuning Addict
    Under Edit there should be a virtual volumetric efficiency tab or VVE tab or something like this. Once you click on it, it will bring up your VVE table. You'll want to make a histogram or table in your scanner to look like this (using the same x and y axis numbers) - after that you can plot air fuel error using a wideband or correct via fuel trims using your O2's - I recommend O2's for regular driving areas....

Now I don't believe this got answered - I assume you did away with the variable cam and put in a 3 bolt? Only reason I ask is because with the variable cam if things were installed correctly you shouldn't be getting an over advanced code? If you went to a 3 bolt cam - you will need to change your cam equiped number to none - if memory serves - under the variable cam heading in the tune...

There are also lots of "How to's" under the scanner and editor sections of this forum to help with getting your scanner setup correctly...

Hope this helps get your going.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, my buddy got one of his other buddy's to do the motor work not myself. He stuck with a vvt cam from comp and did a did delete witch is 156-400-13. I haven't done any modification to the tune besides the deletes and tq management and it's giving me that cam over advance code? I have gotten the VVE and MAF tuning down pat I would like to know about how to tune the vvt section.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Sierra09; 06-20-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Tuner
    Can Somebody clarify this?

Tuning Addict
    Did he just blindly order the part or actually talk to someone to order the cam? If installed correctly and correct cam used, I don't think it should be setting a over-advanced code? Was a phaser limiter of any sort installed at the same time?

RE: GM Gen IV VVT Cam Core, 156 family and new 189 family introduction
    Summary:
    GM introduced a second style VVT cam actuator (aka phaser) in 2007 and ran two different cam
    actuators through 2007‐2008+. The new style became the exclusive unit in most 2009+ engines.
    •Original (old style) GM Part #12585994: 2007‐2008 (uses cam core 156‐)
    •Current (new style) GM Part #12606358: 2007‐2009+ (uses cam core 189‐). The difference in
    camshaft core is the pin to centerline position.
    The difference in the pin between 156 and 189 equates to 13 degrees cam retard (if a 156 is used
    where a 189 is required).
    For further information or technical services, please email us at [email protected], or call
    us at 1‐800‐999‐0853.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Alright guys so I finally got the over advance code figured out. Thanks to GHuggins for his last post. TSP sent out the wrong cam for the year of the truck witch didn't match the phaser witch made the cam 13 degrees out. Now that I have got that figured out, can someone explain to me if tuning VE with VVT is the same as tuning a non VVT engine? Or are there other steps needed in order to tune it? And if anyone would like to lead me in the right direction on setting up vvt for an aftermarket cam that would be great. Another thread or just some pointers. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra09 View Post
    Alright guys so I finally got the over advance code figured out. Thanks to GHuggins for his last post. TSP sent out the wrong cam for the year of the truck witch didn't match the phaser witch made the cam 13 degrees out. Now that I have got that figured out, can someone explain to me if tuning VE with VVT is the same as tuning a non VVT engine? Or are there other steps needed in order to tune it? And if anyone would like to lead me in the right direction on setting up vvt for an aftermarket cam that would be great. Another thread or just some pointers. Thanks again
    I know this is an old post but it was what I was wondering also about is the tuning procedure the same as non vvt engine.