Thread: Questions and Concerns about VE table values going over 100%

Potential Tuner

Questions and Concerns about VE table values going over 100%

I have been reading and researching for a while on this subject and have seen the causes of this problem and haven't seen many solutions to it. The reason I ask is because I have a 2003 cammed N/A LQ4 with factory 24.8 lb/hr injectors with a fixed return-style fuel system @ 58 PSI running in SD mode. So far the motor runs great with no WOT fueling problems even though the IDC is close or sometimes a tad over 100%. I have calculated and set the IFR to the fuel system im running as well. With the cam VE increased 40% bringing the total value to 140%. Im not sure if this causes any issues being over 100% because its never going to use 140% of a cylinder in terms of cylinder airmass for spark advance calculations. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    Those injectors are undersized for a 5.7 and even more
    so for a 6.0 that's running where a big cam does you
    any good.

You can't get an injector duty cycle over 100%, on
    full time is all there is. You can only get over 100% VE
    with resonant runner effects (intake and exhaust),
    and this is unlikely the case. More likely is that some
    fuel delivery issue (or very bad wideband fidelity) is
    driving you to "fix" the problem using an inappropriate
    "knob".

If I were you I'd be getting some larger injectors and
    hopefully ones with flow sheet @ 58PSI (and verify
    that it maintains rail pressure w.r.t. manifold pressure
    or w.r.t. atmospheric depending on whether it's a
    manifold referenced or not, and that the IFR table
    also matches the type of regulation - manifold
    referenced will be a flat value all the way across,
    atmospheric referenced will taper).

Potential Tuner
    I do understand that injectors do go static at that point. From what I have seen you are right that the injectors barely make it from the factory but I was just curious because I would think my readings would be erratic but I can go way richer than WOT (close to 11) and still be consistent. Its just one of those unforeseen things that I didn't think about in terms of the injectors when I did this cam swap. Its nice to have a direct answer because ive seen that it can and cant be done the internet is full of mislead info. I have a set of 33 lb/hr but theyre for E85 but that is probably frowned upon correct?
    Last edited by Steven W; 06-08-2016 at 09:15 PM.