Thread: What do these O2 sensor readings mean?

Tuner in Training

What do these O2 sensor readings mean?

I've been trying to get this thing to idle more comfortably and fixed some issues, but haven't made much progress.
    My bank 2 O2 sensor was reading near dead, so I checked my wiring and found that I had put it's power wire in the sensor 2 pin. This fixed the sensor signal, but now that I'm getting a signal, I am getting polar opposite air/fuel readings between the two banks.
    Bank 1 is read high mV and bank 2 is reading ridiculously low mV.
    Can someone remind me what these readings imply, lean vs rich and give me a clue as to what would cause this?
    I also pulled injectors individually on bank 2 real late in this log to see if that would cause any fluctuation, it did lower the mV a bit, but I don't think there was much room to go any lower.

I'm also trying to figure out why my timing is so erratic at idle, so maybe someone could peak at my tune a bit and help me out. Thanks.

Tuning Addict
    Is it possible you ran the wiring for bank 2 to bank 1's O2 sensor?

Never mind - just watched the log - recommend to put it into closed loop and see if fuel corrections will get the O2 reading correctly - if not - it may have possibly been damaged when the wiring was hooked up wrong? If it does then I would confirm the lean bank with a wideband then investigate to see what's making it lean...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-06-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Found a pretty significant exhaust leak at a v-band just a few inches before the bank 2 O2 sensor. Would this cause it to read almost completely opposite what it should?

Senior Tuner
    It would cause it to read much leaner than it should so that would result in much more positive fuel trims.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    It would cause it to read much leaner than it should so that would result in much more positive fuel trims.
    So reading the graphs, Higher mV means more lean, and Lower mV means more rich?

If so, with the exhaust leak, it should show up much more lean, rather than drastically rich?

Over 450mv is rich and under is lean because basically o2 sensors can only tell you when it's rich or lean of the stoich (14.7).
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So according to my log, bank 1 is actually the super rich and bank 2 is really lean?

I have to agree with what GHuggins said, check wiring and or fuses too.

The one bank is doing nothing. Enabling fuel trims and see what happens is an option too.

A wideband would also let you know if the bank you have it in is running lean.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    I ran my wideband on both banks and It seems that Bank 2 is reading appropriately and Bank 1 is reading significantly richer, which is exactly what my graph is saying, so I know everything is at least reading correctly. I started pulling injectors out while reading Bank 1 with my wideband and when I pulled injector 3 out, and then again with injector 5, that the AFR bumped back up to a comfortable level and almost the same as Bank 2.
    I'm now starting to think I have a clogged or stuck injector.
    Any hints on where to look next?
    I already checked that each injector is in the right pin in the ecu.

Tuner in Training
    Swapped injectors 3 & 7 with injectors 4 & 6, and still no change to the O2 readings. Bank 1 is still very rich and Bank 2 is very lean. I tried tuning on the STFTs and they were ultimately opposite, +/- 25%. I also cannot control my timing within the scanner at all. It will jump all over the place, and then stay at 24* when Spark Control is turned on.

I think my timing is most of my idle instability issue, but I'm not sure how to harness it within the tune yet.
    / I /
    I am getting P0351 through P0358 DTCs while running the log. What could cause this? I have a heavily modified harness... So iguess I'm going to go digging for bad grounds.