Thread: "Active Handling" when shifting into 4th at WOT

Tuner in Training

"Active Handling" when shifting into 4th at WOT

Im hoping that my issues is tune related but for some reason whenever I am getting after my car and grab 4th I get "Active Handling" on the dash of my car and it falls flat on its face. Has no power. If I turn traction control off then it doesnt do it. Is there something In the tune I can do to remedy this?

Attached is my most current tune file

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

What tires are you running, front and rear?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Wheels are 18x9.5 front (inch wider than stock)
    19x10 Rear

tires are 255/40/18 front (stock is 245), 285/35/19 Rear

Bridgeston RE760 front

I also have Z51 front rotors on my car which are about 3/4 inch larger than my stock rotors were
    BFG KDW Rear

You're obviously losing traction, which is enabling traction control that needs to be detuned a bit so it doesn't fall on its face. You could try disabling ETC for the TCS method (i.e., leave it to the spark for torque reductions rather than letting it dump throttle), bump up the maximum torque for TCS full duty cycle, increase minimum final TM spark (currently set to -20 degrees, I run around -3), etc. However, the extent of these changes will depend on your modifications and power/torque output.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron407 View Post
    You're obviously losing traction, which is enabling traction control that needs to be detuned a bit so it doesn't fall on its face. You could try disabling ETC for the TCS method (i.e., leave it to the spark for torque reductions rather than letting it dump throttle), bump up the maximum torque for TCS full duty cycle, increase minimum final TM spark (currently set to -20 degrees, I run around -3), etc. However, the extent of these changes will depend on your modifications and power/torque output.
    I can almost garuntee that im not loosing traction. My car dead hooks in every gear, at any rpm. It wont even spin in first or give any active handling message. Only when going into fourth. I agree though that maybe my tcs needs to be dumbed down a little bit. The only thing I changed was bumped up the maximum torque from 460 to 500

My car only makes 431/400 so its nothing crazy.

My guess is tires are growing enough to cause traction control to flip out at high speeds.

That's why I asked about the tire sizes. It's expecting a certain ratio between front to rear, so if you're close to the limit then say the rear tires grow some at higher speeds, maybe that's causing it

Total guess but that's the only thing that comes to mind.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Aaron407 Can you suggest some settings now that you know what kind of power my car makes?

Either way, traction control is kicking in, whether it's true or apparent traction loss. Detuning it a bit should help, but it would be nice to know why it's happening in the first place if you're not actually losing traction. However, note that it's altogether possible to lose traction on a hard shift even if you can't normally break the tires loose at that point in the gear. I have traction control kick in on WOT 6-3 downshifts in my car at 75 MPH, even though I can't normally break traction at 75 MPH other than during a shift. With a manual transmission, you also have no transmission torque management, and the spinning inertia of the engine at a higher speed in third gear being brought down at the shift when faced with the new gear ratio can create a big hit of torque since it's not damped by a torque converter.

EDIT: in terms of settings, increment and make changes slowly. I'd leave your TCS torque level as it is for now, but disable the ETC control for your TCS while leaving the spark option enabled. Give that a try, then, if it still has issues, try changing your minimum spark TM to -10 to see how it feels. My car was falling on its face during WOT traction control events, and this helped me immensely.
    Last edited by Aaron407; 06-06-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Ill give those settings a try.. I really appreciate the help

I've had almost the same happen, I think the message was "Traction Control" and it started near the end of the 3rd gear on the standing mile (TCS was on). It kept limiting the torque by pulsing the throttle plate between 88% and 60% and spark between the requested 22deg and -3deg all the way to the 5th gear pretty much ruining that run:

During the 1st and 2nd gear no problems but then again available traction was limiting the needed engine torque output. If I take the TCS off, no problems except having trouble finding traction through the 1st and 2nd gear. I think problem is in the mathematical model that is trying to estimate the torque output of the engine. It's calibrated for the stock engine but after "typical modifications" it's estimating that the torque would be nearly 870 Nm (640 lbft) which is not the case in the real world. I haven't had the time and inspiration to determine new coefficients for tables under the Torque Management/Engine/Torque Coefficients. I had already increased the Max Torque from 650 Nm to 800 Nm under the Traction Control System/TCS Method without any help.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if this helps but here is a log with a 3-4th shift. my tune is also attached. Aaron407 I wasnt able to find the minimum spark like you mentioned
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spark-->Advanced, "Spark Limiters" section down at the bottom middle, then there are 3 tables there you can mess with