Thread: Early shifting and Ideal AFRs

Tuner in Training

Early shifting and Ideal AFRs

Hey guys Im kinda new to the tuning game and I've been having some issues I cant seem to work out. First off Im trying to figure out the ideal AFRs for my engine. Its a 2006 lq4/4L80 swapped into a 74 chevy stepside with shorty headers, dual exhaust with h pipe and fake flow masters, ebay intake, and a BTR stage 3 truck cam 218/224,.552/.552 113lsa. I've downloaded all the tutorials and they seem to recommend starting rich, leaning around peak torque, then rich again through redline. I tryed this method first and dialed in afrs with my wideband but was having some KR isssues and I noticed that just about every "professional" tune Ive downloaded to compare seems to have a flat afr, usually around 12.2 so now Im going that route and in the prrocess of retuning afrs. Is this the best way to go about a street tune? just a flatlined afr all the way across the board?
    My other issue is shift points. I started with my shiftpoints set at 6000 but it really didnt feel like it was pulling up there so I lowered them to 5800. Now if I make say 4 wot passes, it may shift at 5700 once or twice but is usually shifting around 5400-5600rpm. Why is it not shifting where its programmed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Robert

I like having a flat AFR, seems most others do as well when going WOT.

Can you post the tune by chance, maybe we something or can point something out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Absolutely!! And thanks for any help! This is the current tune and the last log i did of it. Id also like to add that this this is an absolute dog off the line since the cam swap. I cant figure out why. It used to smoke the tires at 30mph with the stock cam, now it doesnt even want to do a brake stand!But Ill save that for another thread,lol Project steppinWolf SD.hpt8.hpl
    Last edited by Liltroy; 06-05-2016 at 10:14 PM.

When tuning your VE tables, you shouldn't be logging anything MAF related. As this tune still shows it's in speed density. I'd go over the Ve tuning a little more and try tuning the MAF more and see how it does.

Also per that scan you are maxing the injectors, you are seeing well over 95% duty cycle and upwards of 99-100% at times in the upper RPM range. It's running a little rich still, a higher AFR should bring the duty cycle down but you still might be over the 85-90% range and that's basically our of injector.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    yes the injectors are maxing.I had it tuned to a leaner afr but was a slug off the line and even then it was maxing the injectors when it hit 5800 so Im trying to richen it up. This was the first run after changing to a flat 12.2 afr so I havent adjusted the ve tables for that yet. I fully expect these injectors to be hitting 106-110% once the new afr is fully dialed in.The injectors will eventually be upgraded, Im just looking for a budget upgrade. The maf is erroring out but is still sending readings to the scanner so not sure why its doing that. when I was tuning before it was just barely showing anything but now for some reason it gives full readings even when its set to error out. Any ideas on the early shifting? Why is it shifting several hundred rpm early?
    Last edited by Liltroy; 06-06-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Tuner in Training
    anyone have any ideas about the early shifting?

Tuner in Training
    bump......no one has any clue???? I mean I can manual shift but would really prefer for it to shift on its own.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Liltroy View Post
    bump......no one has any clue???? I mean I can manual shift but would really prefer for it to shift on its own.
    Don't know about your model year but my 2000 Silverado had a shift by RPM chart AND a shift by vehicle speed chart.