Thread: question about different pcms and calibration files

Tuner in Training
    I have a 99 silverado 6.0 pcm, i want to know if i unlock the 99 silverado with 2 credits will i be able to
    1. add dual electric fans within the tune
    2. unlock a 2 bar os upgrade with rtt
    I know that a 99-02 f-body used this pcm, would i be able to unlock a stock f body calibration and write it to the truck pcm without using 2 credits on the truck calibration file. I know that the f body calibration allows for dual fan control and has the os upgrades avail
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by TheBuMan78; 06-05-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    pcm service number is 09354896
    Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift em

Tuner in Training
    Bump

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuMan78 View Post
    I have a 99 silverado 6.0 pcm, i want to know if i unlock the 99 silverado with 2 credits will i be able to
    1. add dual electric fans within the tune
    2. unlock a 2 bar os upgrade with rtt
    I know that a 99-02 f-body used this pcm, would i be able to unlock a stock f body calibration and write it to the truck pcm without using 2 credits on the truck calibration file. I know that the f body calibration allows for dual fan control and has the os upgrades avail
    Thanks for the help
    1: yes
    2: yes
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Advanced Tuner
    Uhm this guys info on Yes and Yes is kinda wrong as well.

IF you want to unlock a F-body tune and write it, you also have to license the truck ecm too. A total of 4 credits. Reason is, you cannot write to a pcm that isn't licensed. If you license the F-body tune, that's cool, but it doesn't match your truck ecm OS/Serial #, therefor you cannot write it. Once you license both files, (truck and f-body) you can then swap between the two using write entires. What you need to do is check your Operating system. I have a 2000 sierra. It has a 612 OS in it. The dual fans DO NOT WORK ONLY LOW SPEED. They come on with engine started and never shut off, High speed does not work at all. Temp controls don't work. Its pin 42... ON WITH KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING, FANS ARE LOW SPEED ONLY. If you upgrade to a 12212156 OS, your dual fans will work. Check years 01-02 files for the 156 OS. Hope this info helps anyone else trying to run dual Series/Parallel stock fans.
    Last edited by Asylumwarp; 07-17-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Thanks,

Dustin

upgrade to a 411 ecm, if it isn't that already (they're cheap on ebay). Make sure its the 156 OS that everybody uses anyway and the dual fans will work. If you want to save 2 credits, hookup with someone that has a tech 2 or GM server access and load whatever VIN you want. That's how i've done it for the last 3 years. As far as i know, Fbody OS is only preferred if you're running a speedo in the rear axle. I could be wrong, i'm sure Asylumwarp will correct me.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Advanced Tuner
    The 896 is a 411 pcm just a earlier year.... I like the 12212156 OS for the dual fans. I know some use the f-body OS without problems too. I don't know about the speedo in the rear axle, as I thought they were in the tailshaft of the transmission and uses the same VSS as trucks. But I could be wrong there? I haven't worked on many 98-02 f-bodys as I own 94 and a 95 f bodys...

So either OS will work.. Just once you license all your files, do a write entire when you switch OS's...
    Thanks,

Dustin