Thread: New to Tuning need some Help.

Potential Tuner

New to Tuning need some Help.

Okay to start with I am not stupid, just new to the program and would like to know the basics of the program. I drive a 2000 trans am ws6. Now background of the car it was an auto car when I bought it a year ago I destroyed the auto so I upgraded to the t56. I did all the work my self as well as long tubes with a cat delete it was a cake walk to tune out, the auto to manual stuff anyway. Now I want to actually tune the parameters. I want to know how to add timing I need details where to go what to change and by how much. Second thing how do I add or lean out the fuel and which would make the most/safest power. Finally I am getting a knock sensor codes not sure what code it is but i can get it tomorrow. I am certain that the sensors are throwing false knock. Maybe need to reduce the sensitivity but again not sure how. Lastly I do not have any logs of the car running but can do it tomorrow If needed for any of the info needed. Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    What you are asking for is a lot more than you seem to think it is. Tuners spend years learning how all of these factors actually effect each other.

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

Is what I used for a stepping off point, but the best thing you can do is read, there are a bunch of people here who will help out with specific questions.

There are several other tuning guides out there as well, some free and some are really expensive...

Potential Tuner
    I just need to know if I add timing what table would that be because there are many spark tables and many fuel tables. So say I add 3* timing to the whole table would I then have to add 3* to all of the timing tables

High and low octane tables are where you would add timing.

I highly suggest you do not just add 3 degrees of timing at random to the tables. How sure are you that the motor will be okay with it?

Timing doesn't always mean more power, you might end up hurting performance by adding more.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    5FDP that was just an example but I figure that I will log the car and see what it's doing without the timing and add a degree or two see if the car seems to do better as I do not have a dyno. The other thing I'm having an issue with after tuning is the knock sensors are throwing a code and I'm wanting to reduce the sensitivity because I know it's not detonating so what table would I go about doing that. After I log I will know where it's knocking like the rpm and load range. But how far can I go with the table before it won't pick up knock?

Tuner
    Post up your tune Aaron

What is the code.

Knock sensor codes are normally for bad knock sensor themselves and the harness. If you have never changed either, I would look into it. The rear knock sensor is very prone to failure from moisture getting in the hole and rusting them/corroding the plug in. Reducing how sensative the knock sensors are won't get the codes to go away.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    2000 trans am manual conversion attempt #1.hpt here it is. The things I've done is disable egr and copied the manual tune to this ecm turned the lights off for the rear o2 sensors and thats pretty much it. Anything you guys see that might help please feel to let me know.

Potential Tuner
    trip to pet store trans am.hpltrip home from pet store trans am.hpl Okay so the first log is to our local pet store about 30 miles from my house and the second log is back home same route. I got a little bit of spark knock on the first maybe once and the second run I could almost get it to do it on command there are 2 codes for the knock sensors they are b1 s1 circuit low and b2 s1 circuit low both immature history these codes come and go without clearing them. I am almost 100 percent positive it is false knock because it doesn't have any knock just driving and cruising, only when you give the car throttle and are in a higher gear. Idk if thats normal but I'm pretty sure it's not I can feel the car almost bog when the sensors pull timing. Please someone shed some light on this for me.

Circut codes don't come from false knock, that's an electrical problem. You might have to pull the intake and inspect the entrire knock sensor harness.

Potential Tuner
    Would a circuit problem cause it to throw knock? I know that it has a circuit problem but why is it throwing false knock should I reduce the sensitivity. How do I resolve the problem and what should i look for when i pull the intake for the knock sensors torque specs, wire resistance, should I ohm out the sensors.

Potential Tuner
    Bump

Advanced Tuner
    WHat he is trying to tell you is that the circuit problem is causing the computer to think it has knock and therefore showing it in the scan. Rememeber the PCM is just receiving data from the sensors, comparing it to the tune and providing outputs to the injectors etc. If the PCM is receiving weird signals it can't decipher what is real (think of it like an illusion, you can "see" it but it's not really there)

Reducing the sensitivity to knock will eventually make the code go away, but by that time it will ignore real knock. You might as well shut off the knock sensor all together... Or you can fix the wiring issue (Which is really common for our engines) and let the computer do its job.

Making uniformed changes is a recipe for really quickly destroying your motor. I know you want to just jump in and make a couple changes and make the small problems disappear and then blow the doors off the next car that pulls up next to you, (We all do) but proper tuning doesn't allow for shortcuts.