Thread: VE tuning guidance request

Tuner in Training

VE tuning guidance request

i've began logging and modifying VE table which has only led to more questions hence the new post.

from what i've read and come to understand is that your VE table should be fairly smooth which will aid in transition between SD and MAF references. my VE table looks like a canyon runs right through it but by log 5 most cells seem to be where they need to be with the exception of a few outliers. why so spikey? wouldn't you be back to a larger lambda error if i were to smooth out those spikes? shouldn't the WB do most of the work?

i have noticed PE is kicking during my logs. commanded lambda goes down according to PE table but there is no change in lambda, only lambda error %. i'm questioning if i missed something setting up my SD tune or if this is normal in SD tuning.

i've done 5 logs and updated the VE table 5 times. there are many references as to how quick VE tuning falls into place but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. would anyone care to share how long it took to fine tune their VE table?

also, i understand many don't pay much attention to VE after 4k as that is when MAF kicks in but i plan on boosting at some point and will likely go 100% SD when that happens.

my car is an M6 and i live in atlanta GA with hills. does decel affect the accuracy of lambda error %?

thanks in advance for the help.
    -beau
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I would say you have a physical issue, be it a leak or sensor issue including O2 placement. Things are too smooth for to just drop out unless you are hitting a some type of RPM caused reverberation in the exhaust tract. Id suggest moving the sensor first if everything else seems happy. You could have exhaust pulses resonating at that rpm that is screwing up your readings.

Doesn't look like it's setup up correctly to be in speed density, the DTC's aren't set right.

And you can't log anything MAF related in the scanner when you are tuning the SD only.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    And you can't log anything MAF related in the scanner when you are tuning the SD only.
    Does this cause problems? I've been reading every thread learning and just stumbled across this.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the help guys. I will start from square one and review SDtuning parameters first. I was HOPING it was a user-related error with hptuners and not an issue with a leak or sensor placement that would be easy for someone halfway familiar with this program to point out. thinking about it, it would make sense since it's ~4K RPMs where my tune turns in to dog-sh*t and that's where MAF kicks in when in hybrid mode. I have the sensor in the d/s header in place of the o2 sensor like most others for tuning purposes until it's dialed in and wouldn't have thought location to be an issue but will keep front of mind. time has been hard for me to find for me lately but I will do my homework and reply with some feedback. thanks again for the guidance
    -beau