Thread: 0411 swap questions

Potential Tuner

0411 swap questions

I have a 1997 silverado with the vortec 5.7 and i want to swap it io the 0411 pcm. I have a pcm from a 2001 silverado, but i need to get a tune from a 2002 express van because the vans used the 5.7. My question is, how would i go about putting a van tune onto the pcm that i already have? Do i have to license both tunes (van and silverado), or just license the van tune and write it onto the silverado pcm? also, will i have any issues with vin numbers or anything? Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    You will have to get a tune from the tune repository. Swap your PCM, license the PCM only then upload the van tune into it. Unless you have some way of bench tuning your going to have to swap your pcm then license it. DO NOT ever license a tune from the repository. only use credits on PCM's you are going to edit.

Potential Tuner
    I looked at it a couple days ago and from what I remember, I cant edit or write a tune from the repository unless I license it. I mightve been doing something wrong but I'm not sure

Advanced Tuner
    You are correct, you will have to license the tune from the repository. I also was looking for a way to avoid this so I wouldn't spend 4 credits for the swap. No luck. The only way to avoid it is to get a pcm that is already written with the base tune.

The way I did mine, it is all obvious, but sometimes it looks more complicated in writing

1) Re pin the vehicle with the proper wiring to have the 0411 in the vehicle. Do not start the vehicle

2) Make sure you have the tune you want to write to the PCM. Verify that it uses the same transmission as the vortec 0411 swap was available with 4l60e and 4l80e. Perform segment swap as needed. License the tune

3) Turn the ignition on (still not starting it) and read the PCM and license it.

4) Open the new tune and "Write Entire" to the vehicle.

5) Now you can start the vehicle.

My suburban wouldn't start right away. I don't actually know why, but I suspect during the writing or "cleanup" it opens the injectors up and dumps some fuel into the engine and lightly floods it.

I held the gas pedal down a little and it fired up and within seconds was able to settle down into a nice idle.

Hopefully that helps a little

Potential Tuner
    It definitely helps to see it all in simple steps like that. Thanks!

I have 2 PCM's already setup for the swap if you are interested? You can call or text me 337-501-3452. You will only need 2 credits if you want to further tune it.