Thread: 06 lsj stall when the clutch is pushed in coasting

Tuner in Training

06 lsj stall when the clutch is pushed in coasting

I have a lsj from an 06 cobalt in a toyota with a toyota 5 speed transmission behind it and it dies if I'm coasting and push in the clutch. I have read that it is because I don't have a vss hooked up. Is there anyway to tune this out? I'd rather not have to try to retrofit a vss in this transmission if possible.

Specs on the set up are 06 lsj with balance shafts deleted, 3inch intake, ebay 4-2-1 header to 3 inch exhaust no cat, return fuel system with 1-1 fpr.
    Last edited by rcks4me; 05-30-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Post a log with this happening. Could be as simple as tweaking DFCO or underspeed.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Post a log with this happening. Could be as simple as tweaking DFCO or underspeed.
    Thanks for taking a look Chris. 3.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Anybody else have any idea if this is possible?

Tuner in Training
    I guess that's not the right log. I will get one today and post it tonight. I'll also try disabling dfco and see if it helps.

Tuner in Training
    6 stall and sputter.hpl here's a log i just did. It stalled a couple times where I was able to just let the clutch out and keep going but at the end after a long coast it sputtered hard and barely ran until i shut it off and restarted.

7.hpl this is right after restarting and driving home where I could get more speed, after the long coast i got the engine light and code p0507 and hard sputter.

Im trying to absorb a ton of information in preparation for tuning and this is not making it any easier, I hope someone can get me pointed in the right direction.

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post up your tune file? There's a lot of things going on in the log.

The PCM does need to know vehicle speed to know whether it is needs to be in idle spark tables or main spark tables or coast down tables.

Have you fix the P0507 code? Make sure the throttle body is clean, no vacuum leaks, no air leaks between TB and MAF.

Tuner in Training
    53016 dfco stall test.hpt

Here is the tune. I'm sure its a mess considering I am basically in trial and error mode. I've read that these motors have been run without the vss but none that I read explained how. If adding the vss back in and creating a signal for it is whats necessary I can make it happen I just want to drive it already.

The p0507 only set after the long coast down the hill so it makes sense that it thought it was idling (no vss) but the motor was pulling more air.

Thanks for taking a look Mark!

Advanced Tuner
    It might be possible to set it up without VSS input, but it will be easiest and best with VSS input.

But to setup the sensor speed for your specific setup I am not sure able, but it might be easy enough as hooking your Toyota speed sensor wiring to the ECM and mess with the speedo calibration settings until it is correct. Use a gps to measure speed and compare to VCM scanner. And get them to match, but at the same time. It might not be that easy. The two transmissions could use totally different style sensors/reluctors.

Tuner in Training
    The Toyota drive train I'm using only has a speed output at the rear output of the transfer case which is for the cable driven speedo. I'm looking for an electronic sending unit that fits possibly from another application.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Iirc autometer sells a speedometer signal converted that screws to the cable drive and allows a cable to be screwed to the back side of the sensor unit to drive said mechanical tachs while providing electric signal for computers.
    Technically is usdm transmissions but it might work on your Toyota drive.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    So I have one that's electronic and fits in the speedo spot. The output it creates is 0 to 11 volts 4 times per revolution. Now I'm off to see what this ecu is looking for...

Edit, Not going to work it seems. The cobalt uses a different pickup. not sure exactly how they work but the toyota one is 3 wire and the cobalt one is 2. looks like the cobalt is an on off signal and the toyota is varying voltage
    Last edited by rcks4me; 05-30-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I found another sensor i had and it looks like the cam and crank sensors, same magnetic propertys too. I'm trying to figure out how these sensors work and it seems like as the tooth on whatever the sensor is reading goes by it closes the loop inside for a split second sending whatever input the computer sent out back to the computer. Is this correct? If so i can use this sensor to read the signal i need and just need to figure out how many teeth per revolution.

Tuner in Training
    So i ended up using what i think is a crank sensor and made a bracket so it reads the bolts on the output flange holding the driveline on. It works like a champ and seems to have solved the issue. I've learned that the vss is much more important than just a reading for the speedo. It even idles much better with the sensor plugged in not even reading anything.

Now i hope to get some good logs and learn to tune this beast.