Thread: Installed E85 sensor no reading of alcohol composition

Installed E85 sensor no reading of alcohol composition

HI Guys and Gals

I installed an e85 sensor and I thought I enabled it in the tune as well as turn on the necessary DTC's wired everything up and I am not registering alcohol content. Tank is half full of e85. I checked ground power etc

It is an 04 v6 p59 controller. If someone wouldn't mind looking over tune and is familiar with this just to make sure I didn't miss something I would appreciate it.
    alex flex no e85.hptI am down to testing a known good unit and swapping out mine to make sure it works on their car
    Also this is a 2 bar SD upgrade not sure if that makes a difference or not

Last edited by xx_ed_xx; 05-17-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm interested in what your exact issue was and how you fixed it.

I hope to add e85 to my truck in the future. It seems that I have the option to enable it in my tune. 12579405 OS on a P59 PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba2533 View Post
    I'm interested in what your exact issue was and how you fixed it.

I hope to add e85 to my truck in the future. It seems that I have the option to enable it in my tune. 12579405 OS on a P59 PCM.
    Ok so the issue is hidden switches or flex fuel arent turned on but since this pcm supports it HP tuners shows you the features to mess with it but arent working if you just turn it on in your tune. So you need to take a factory flex file and put it into your pcm and then make the necessary changes to run it in your vehicle. For me since i have tis2web access I will flash that VIN tune into my pcm. Change the vin back to what it was. Copy over selected differences from my tune and i should be golden showers.

I let you know here shortly when i get home

The truck is a swap anyhow so i dont have to worry about BCM etc. But you have to be careful on which tune you use to make sure all your other features function correctly they mention it in the other post about the gto swap

Mine is 92 s10 with a 98 ls1 and t56 with single turbo. Running on a 04 truck pcm.

So yes after flashing the flex fuel tune my comp sensor works. unfortunately the tune is different and for whatever reason wont idle when trying to do fuel correction. flash old tune back in idles fine. Even did comparison log. and copied over 99 of the differences. I think something hidden is screwing with me

Tuner in Training
    I did some more research and found this:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagno...l#post18508825

So if you are able to find another tune with the same OS ID that came with flex fuel from the factory you should be able to do an engine segment swap. I am going to do that to see if it will work. It will be awhile before I convert to e85 so I won't be able to comment on if that works right away.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba2533 View Post
    I did some more research and found this:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagno...l#post18508825

So if you are able to find another tune with the same OS ID that came with flex fuel from the factory you should be able to do an engine segment swap. I am going to do that to see if it will work. It will be awhile before I convert to e85 so I won't be able to comment on if that works right away.
    yes.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so after doing the engine & engine diagnostic segment swap I am having similar issues.

See my thread for details http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...onversion-Help

Hoping to figure this out as I have already purchased the sensor, I just haven't wired it in yet. I wanted to confirm it would run like normal if I just let the flex sensor DTC fail to the 10% I set in the software.

If you have discovered anything new please post it.

Yup I read your thread and I have the exact same issues. including the 315 code which i turned off. I emailed support and tried to explain what the issue i was having and was told since the OS is old that 0 fucks were given. Dave steck was making a sensor read out. But he too has given up. So best I can do is change stoich and hope the pump isnt crap.

Are you trying to run a V6 engine off of this or a LS engine?

I know of bubba2533 thread where he was trying to run a V6 off the V8 segment and that just wont work.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Are you trying to run a V6 engine off of this or a LS engine?

I know of bubba2533 thread where he was trying to run a V6 off the V8 segment and that just wont work.
    What part?

I have 4 running v8 vehicles that started out with v6 tunes. But I also took the tahoe tune that i saw passed around i actually downloaded the updated GM file using the vin provided and had the same issues. I was able to get the alcohol sensor to read but i could not get one vehicle to idle correctly in closed loop. the other two where doing something weird in the fueling when we went to tune them. Put the original v6 tune back in and runs fine and is tunable. meaning when it says it needs fuel and you add fuel it actually makes sense. Not sure if it is a pcm hardware issue or something else I tried to get support to just copy over the flex fuel part but no dice in helping me. Since the OS and pcms are SO old

I didnt do a segment swap i went in and changed LOW res in system matrix and the view comparison log and copied over selected difference from a v8 tune for the swap engine. I honestly still dont understand what the segment swapper does. I guess maybe it is a trans thing. but all my crap is manual trans