Thread: Coyote Shift Knock

Senior Tuner

Coyote Shift Knock

I am tuning a 2011 Mustang GT currently and have everything lined out except for two things. It is a manual transmission and after shifting during a WOT pull it is pulling timing. It also concerned me that I randomly saw timing being pulled lower RPM low load cells but I noticed it was just during a light throttle free rev to about 1,800 RPM.

Is this anything to worry about? I'm guessing the free rev knock is noise from something but the timing being occasionally pulled after a hard shift is not good because it pulls a lot of power out of the car on WOT pulls when it does it. I have the car tuned to add right around the 4 degrees max I have set to allow plenty to be pulled for safety so I guess I could increase the advance rate to bring power back in quicker after recovering from a timing drop on a rough shift.

Post a log and tune

Advanced Tuner
    Please post a log and a tune. Also, in case you haven't read the other posts since your post count is 1.

Negative KR = Good
    Positive KR = Bad

Positive KR means it has detected Knock and has proceeded to pull spark timing. Negative KR means the ECM has detected no knock and feels confident enough to add more spark advance.

Senior Tuner
    I will upload the log and tune next time I'm at my computer. Thanks for the input JN2 but I understand how things are working. I wasn't sure about the new Ford ECUs so I bought the Coyote Cookbook and read a decent bit on the forum because I didn't want to tune something I was mostly sure of everything going on in.

My tune is basically just generic changes out of the Coyote Cookbook but I didn't use all their spark tables and only dialed in the OP table. I have not touched the lower load areas of the table either so one place I have seen knock free revving is stock unless making VCT changes recommended in the guide changed things much.

The car runs well and knock retard will be - 3 ramping up to - 4 if doing a one gear pull like third. Those values are what I set the max spark advance adder to. It's just on the occasional rough shift or sometimes just when free revving or letting off the clutch to pull out that knock is picked up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    I will upload the log and tune next time I'm at my computer. Thanks for the input JN2 but I understand how things are working. I wasn't sure about the new Ford ECUs so I bought the Coyote Cookbook and read a decent bit on the forum because I didn't want to tune something I was mostly sure of everything going on in.

My tune is basically just generic changes out of the Coyote Cookbook but I didn't use all their spark tables and only dialed in the OP table. I have not touched the lower load areas of the table either so one place I have seen knock free revving is stock unless making VCT changes recommended in the guide changed things much.

The car runs well and knock retard will be - 3 ramping up to - 4 if doing a one gear pull like third. Those values are what I set the max spark advance adder to. It's just on the occasional rough shift or sometimes just when free revving or letting off the clutch to pull out that knock is picked up.
    Tuning just the OP tables is fine. That is how I have mine set up. It keeps stock drivability and since it goes into OP tables the instant I go WOT there is no need to change the other tables as drivability is fine the way it is now.

Give what you described have you checked to see if anything is tapping on your exhaust? That can be picked up as false knock.

Tuner in Training
    Is the knock starting right after Tip-in has occurred? I was getting knock and had to increase the Tip-in spark retard in some areas. You can view this by logging Spark Source.
    2012 Mustang GT Manual
    Vortech V3
    Deatschwerks 95lb
    JLT Intake

Tip-in spark retard

Quote Originally Posted by bcmarek View Post
    Is the knock starting right after Tip-in has occurred? I was getting knock and had to increase the Tip-in spark retard in some areas. You can view this by logging Spark Source.
    Tip-in spark retard

screenshot ??

Senior Tuner
    It's fine on this car running zero tip retard in with the exhaust fixed. I think part if a clamp was making contact with the frame on hard shifts