Thread: OS update -- from 00 m6 camaro to 02 a4 firebird

Tuner in Training

OS update -- from 00 m6 camaro to 02 a4 firebird

I purchased HPTpro from a guy that recently sold his car, an 02 trans am. I'd like to update the OS in my car and understand i'll be able to do it free of charge since I was able to get the previous owner to send me his tune for his car which was an a4 with an ls7 in it. Ideally i would have an 02 tune that was M6 to start with but am trying to save the 2 credits since previous owner had an 02 licensed and was nice enough to send me his tune. I am aiming to get the car running prior to ordering a wideband (next step) to begin tuning VE & MAF for starters but wanted to make sure my thought process makes sense to some of the guys who've been on here for a while before uploading this tune to update OS. Here's where i am:

-downloaded 2002 m6 camaro stock file from repository
    -via compare mode, copied all differences from 2002 camaro m6 tune to 2002 firebird a4 tune (to update my OS)
    -via compare mode, modified tables of 2002 firebird tune to match 2000 camaro m6 stock tune
    -scrolled through engine diagnostics comparing 2002 firebird tune to 2000 camaro m6 stock tune disabling codes that did not change over from copying all differences
    -disabled COT, rear 02's, AIR, & EGR.

ideally i would have had a 2002 m6 tune licensed to update OS but i am ultimately looking to save credits. a few questions:
    -are there any major/common settings i may have overlooked worth double checking?
    -there are a few tables i'm unable to edit (i.e. torque management/general/maximum torque/RPM vs Gear) and believe it is because i've disabled the appropriate diagnostic code for my m6 in this case, correct?
    -i'm jumping to the assumption that i do not need COT as i do not have catalytic converters, correct?

thanks in advance,
    beau
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    update: when comparing tunes i was surprised to see how much different some of the areas were i.e. VE tables and spark tables from 2000 -> 2002. a note for beginner tuners out there just getting started: i would suggest making sure you're in "advanced" view from the beginning as i didn't realize i was in "basic" mode until i've already gone through each of the tunes several times. i wish i would have noticed sooner. after going through compare mode a few times and editing all differences i saw relevant, i got antsy and uploaded the tune. once uploaded it cranked right up and didn't throw any immediate codes thankfully. mission accomplished -- 2 credit saved using prior-owner's tune for OS. next step is to order a wideband and move to VE, MAF, & spark...
    Last edited by beau.; 05-10-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    question- do settings under electronic throttle matter for my 2000 after 2002 OS update? I have a cable-driven tb but I've read in the past the computers do not like scaled rotation if I recall correctly and the tables have a warning from HP Tuners. The question is if I need to modify these to match my 2000 stock tune or if I am to leave them as 02 values post-OS update? Also if there are any other tables that need to be touched or left alone feel free to chime in.
    thanks,
    beau