Thread: 05 LS2 GTO - Can't seem to take all TC away

05 LS2 GTO - Can't seem to take all TC away

Some of this is a copy paste from a discussion over at ls1gto.com.

Basically, it seems that I can't fully disable traction control the way I thought I was before. Even changing ETC table to 100, both spark reduction tables to 0 and by disabling both dropdown boxes.

The discussion began when we were trying to find the reason for the
    ETC TPS Max vs RPM vs % Max Available Torque table. I believed it related to TC only and these are the tests I used to confirm that:

Test 1: ETC Dropdown enabled, ETC TPS Max values all set to 100.
    Result- TC does not engage to limit ETC. TC button on or off and it feels the same.

Test 2: ETC Dropdown enabled, ETC TPS Max values set to STOCK values
    Result- TC engages by limiting ETC, I also still have Spark disabled so the Traction control isn't as brutal as it was from the factory, but still present. With the TC button off, all hell breaks loose as expected.

This confirms my thought that the ETC limits table is directly related to the ETC dropdown and only present when Traction Control is active.

However, I was playing around a bit more and found out:

I do have to add that there is something still there that is causing traction control. Even with the ETC table all set to 100, and both spark tables set to 0 AND both ETC and Spark dropdowns disabled. It will still light up 1st gear, don't get me wrong. But when I hit second, it feels like it limits wheel spin STILL. I never noticed it before until I started doing these tests.

Here's what I did on my M6:

With what I mentioned above, I thought I had fully disabled ALL TC parameters so that I could just hop in the car and not have to press the TC button. Well, sort of. If you romp it in 1st, I can still spin like crazy. But do this test: Take 1st gear slowly up to about 5k rpm so that you aren't spinning the tires. Then, press the clutch in and rev to redline and dump the clutch shifting into 2nd gear. Normally, with TC off you will light up all through 2nd gear. Well even with the above parameters all set to disable TC, if you leave the button on, you will notice a SLIGHT amount of traction control going on. You'll notice your dash icon will come on and say "traction limited" or whatever it says and the engine will seem to die slightly and traction will regain after spinning a little. Its nowhere close to being as bad as the factory TC is and its not as harsh as Test 2 above where you use the stock ETC values and Enable ETC under TC. But, still there's something there.

Now, the problem I"m having is that I think there's a table that we can't access to fully disable traction control on the 05s. Do the same test with TC button off and you can tell the difference.

Guess I"m back to pressing the button every time I get in. The funny thing is that SOMETIMES it will say TRAC OFF when I start the car, but most of the time not. Weird huh?

I'd like to hear from the designers if we can't access all parameters to disable TC fully on our 05 LS2? Also would like to confirm what I believe about TC and the before mentioned table under Engine-->Torque Management-->General

Thanks if you read all of that book, I appreciate it

Tuner
    well what your feeling with TC all disabled in the ECM is the remaining TC functions controll by the braking system. You are feeling the rear brakes come on to help control wheel spin. Standard traction control operation, pull back motor, put the clamps on the spinning wheels.
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]