Thread: 2011 CTS-V - Cam & Headers Install Tuning

2011 CTS-V - Cam & Headers Install Tuning

Morning fellow tuners. This weekend I will be installing a cam (.050 229/242) and headers back (test pipe), along with my intake.

It's been about 6 years since I've touched HPT.. Not even sure how to plug it in anymore .. Basically starting this thread because I am sure I WILL have questions getting the car to run right. My goal is to basically make it drivable for 50 miles or so to my tuner Church. Never tuned an LS before, only my LSJ Cobalt, but assuming there isn't much difference. Only thing is I have never tuned for a cam before. What are some things to look at right away when getting ready to log? Any info before I dive in would be great right now!..

Time to dust off the cobwebs..

THANKS!

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

*The most powerful designs are always the result of a continuous process of simplification and refinement.*

Probably will be more or less driveable without anything done to it. Not great.. but good enough to get where you're going

Turn up idle RPM and min airflow a bit and see if it'll run IMO. I bet it does.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 05-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Would it be wise to not adjust anything if it idles and drives ok though? If I can get away without touching anything it would save me a cool $100. I'm just concerned with potentially damaging anything.

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

*The most powerful designs are always the result of a continuous process of simplification and refinement.*

You aren't going to damage anything, and you can log it without using up a license, so I'd log it and see what you get.

If fuel trims aren't maxed out and it runs then I'd drive it to the tuner. If not.. it might need some work
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the input.

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Probably will be more or less driveable without anything done to it. Not great.. but good enough to get where you're going

Turn up idle RPM and min airflow a bit and see if it'll run IMO. I bet it does.
    like schpenxel said,
    Make sure you increase your idle rpm and min airflow or the car will not idle (most likely) once warm.

Well I finished the cam and headers install. Performed my initial cam and spring break in. Everything is great so far. Once stress was put on the engine I am assuming that the oil had thinned out, which gave me around 20 psi idle at about 550rpm. Engine at operational temp with initial start and no stress on the engine, oil pressure sits around 30psi. Normal driving condition it pokes around 35-40psi. I put in 5w30 with Lucas Zinc additive. Once the break-in is over I am going to go with a thicker oil.

I attached two logs. Engine at operational temp with light acceleration. Everything looks to be alright to drive to my tuner. What do you guys think.

By the way it idles just fine! Guess i got lucky lol

Thanks!

test1.hpl
    test2.hpl

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7

That motor should have a oil pressure relief in the oil pan (because gen 4 engine) and that's why oil pressure is lower. Seeing 30 psi idle and closer to 40 at cruise speeds is normal and not an issue. You can remove the relief and plug the hole if you wish but that involved removing the oil pan. Then you'll see a bump in oil pressure by like 10-15 psi all around atleast.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm more concerned about the drivability according to my log

2011 CTS-V Coupe
    - 1993 Mazda RX7