Thread: Softening 5.3 truck 1-2 shifts

Tuner in Training

Softening 5.3 truck 1-2 shifts

I am planning on purchasing hptuners for my 2011 cts-v and hoping to help my 2004 silverado z71. I recently rebuilt the trans in the truck and after all the aftermarket parts it's a little too rough for the wife from 1 to 2. Would it be a bad idea to try to soften the shift via tuning?

Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt to try that's for sure.

I'm sure you could slow the shift speed down a little bit and take some shift pressure out of it and see where that leaves you.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    You could also try commanding a way earlier MPH value 1-2 upshift at the lower throttle percentages. It might shift before anything even gets really ramped up enough to uncomfortable levels. I've had 2 Crown Vics (TV cable bracket in tact) that 1-2 shifted so early you would almost swear they started out in 2nd gear. You might even pick up a few MPG's from it too.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 05-02-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Cool, looking forward to trying this out. Thank you!

Senior Tuner
    It's very difficult to soften all of the mechanical changes in the tuning without causing slip. You can also try to add some torque management back in at low throttle areas. A higher stall converter helps soften the hit also.

I just went through the same thing on my Tahoe and it is very easy to soften the shift up with out causing any kind of slip I just did it. There are a few ways to go about it depending on what u did to it when built it. I build for a living so know these very well as run one in a 9 second street car and keep it alive. If want to contact me direct it will be easier to talk and help u through it.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Tuner in Training
    Thanks everyone, I received my VCM Friday and have been reading nonstop. lt1z350 I sent you a pm