Thread: E38 Spark advance ramp between idle/main tables

Tuner in Training

E38 Spark advance ramp between idle/main tables

Hi, I'm trying to determine what parameter is causing the slow ramp of spark advance under light or moderate throttle openings when transitioning between idle and main spark tables, or coastdown and main tables on the E38. This has a big effect on the off-idle tip-in response during low speed driving. The car is a Holden VE SS Commodore auto (Pontiac G8 GT). The smaller the throttle opening, the longer the advance takes to 'catch up' to the main spark table once the throttle is opened. It's almost like it's blending between the tables.

To make this easier to explain, I have attached a short log and screenshot.

I have tried the following.

- Disabled burst knock
    - Disabled Tip-in torque and ETC limiting
    - No Torque management retard shows in the scanner when transitioning between spark tables
    - Spark smoothing is disabled (standard on an Auto)

Does anyone know what would be causing this? I'm starting to think that it is a torque management parameter that is not available in Hptuners.

Thanks.

GM_E38_spark_ramp.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone else experienced this? So far, I've logged 4 or 5 E38 cars, and this happens on all, manual or auto trans. There has to be a way to disable this.

I'd just like to know if anyone can log 'Base advance' and 'Timing advance', to see if their spark advance instantly switches to the main advance once you tip-in off idle.

Thanks.

Tuner
    Following