Thread: Changing VIN in computer

Potential Tuner

Changing VIN in computer

I am currently replacing the computer in a 2008 HSV Senator, and the replacement computer is secondhand.
    How do I remove the old vin from computer and
    how do I input and link with the vin number for the new car it will be going into?
    As it doesn't seem to give me the option to change the vin, the computer is from a 2014 VF

Thank You In advance

Tuner
    You need the 3.1 beta. If you don't have it you'll have to request it from support.

Then go to
    Edit>Change vin wizard

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Keep in mind the vin change feature has stipulations ie you can't be using a 2014 operating system paired with a 2008 vin, additionally if the part numbers aren't the same trying to flash a 2014 with a 2008 file could cause corruption of the NVRAM in the ecm.

One more reason not to buy a gen 4 ecm secondhand in hopes of using it for your 6 year older application...
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bill, what parts of the VIN are important for HPTuners to select correct PIDs and other variable/UI configurations?

I want to make the VIN in the newer ECM resemble the car's original VIN as much as possible:
    - the first 8 characters would be the same as in the old ECM
    - the last 7 characters would be the same as in the old ECM

changing only the model year digit (#10) to correspond with ECM HW version and the checksum digit (#9) correspond with the rest of the new VIN.

Is this ok for the HPTuners to work without any problems?
    Last edited by barum; 07-24-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Anyone @HPTuners?

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by barum View Post
    Anyone @HPTuners?
    [email protected]

Ok, I got a reply from support.

After some own experiments one can change the production sequence number freely, but for example the package (1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ) digit and restraint digit have to be valid for the current model year for the VIN to be recognized correctly, ie. pretty much the rest of the VIN has to be valid.