Thread: Map tracking function improvements? Automatically fetch high-res background images

Potential Tuner

Lightbulb Map tracking function improvements? Automatically fetch high-res background images

I'm a Ultimate Racerender user since 2014. I consider myself a fairly 'advanced' user and have contributed before with requirements for a better 'tracking map' feature (which got accepted and introduced somewhere last year).

I often try to put a 'high resolution tracking map' on my videos by using a software called "Universal map downloader" to download highres bing, google or openstreetmaps, and then I try to make it fit the display object using the overlay generated by the 'export object bitmap' function and adjusting the highres crop using an external image editor. The results are not always satisfactory, it's very laborious but a series of very well-defined steps.

It gets particularly tricky if the background image I'm trying to use for the tracking map gets very large. Adjusting the fit is almost impossible and RaceRender will come to a crawl simply trying to interact with it or trying to render a video.

The best result so far is when using 1MB bitmaps for images that are not very high in resolution:
    I tried once using a 1GB bitmap and it was impossible to deal with the general user interface slowdown.

I think it's possible for Racerender to automate much of the steps I take here for making this work and creating a feature of added value to their customers.

Given that they can calculate the boundary GPS coordinates of a tracking map that brings absolute GPS coordinates, they can mimic the "Universal Map Downloader" software and download high-resolution versions of (at least) OpenStreetMaps that can be automatically used as background for their tracking map feature. They can do the same for Bing or Google maps if there are no copyright concerns.

I'd be glad to help with anything I can to make it work.

There's something else that needs fixing: I'm trying to have a zoomed-in, tracking map as a 100% by 20% strip of my screen. Apparently that can be done if you don't use the 'zoom in vehicle' option, but as soon as you click that the object form will go back to a square (not depending on the background image shape).

I have another feature suggestion, but will create another thread for it.

Potential Tuner
    Nothing from the Racerender Staff yet?