Thread: New boost tables

New boost tables

Well, I'm glad that there is more access to the boost control system, but we still don't seem to have control of the boost control system. 2004.5 stock truck with exhaust.

So far I've tried:
    Allow max WGDC 100% (didn't seem to do anything)
    Max out max turbine outlet temp (this seems to have fixed it randomly bailing on boost when I'm beating the crap out of it)
    Turbine RPM table: Cut it in half, no change. Back to stock, added 50%, no change. WGDC always logs 74%, boost sits right around 37.

I've yet to just send over a manual control at 100% command to see what happens, but it doesn't seem like my truck is actively targeting anything. Anyone else having any success?
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Are you reading boost via obd or mechanical
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    Are you reading boost via obd or mechanical
    Mechanical gauge. With boost tables unmodified, I'd hit 40 psi on spoolup occasionally, then it would bail back to 35 ish.

Sometimes during heavy abuse gear to gear in high gears, it would go down to 30-32 and make EGT go through the roof. I never got it on a log but I believe it was intentional boost reduction by the ECU/WG solenoid.

Now it's very stable at 37 ish. But the logger doesn't show any activity out of the wastegate solenoid. I'm probably going to put a manual controller on it, but I wouldn't mind knowing how it works or what it's doing.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Weird...as with most of my stock turbo tuning, I just set the min DC to 80% and 40 all day long with stock fuel
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with Les. Although with a little more fuel mid 40s with minimum set to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    Weird...as with most of my stock turbo tuning, I just set the min DC to 80% and 40 all day long with stock fuel
    Thanks. I'll try that next flash. It's possible the turbo in this truck isn't that great. When it was 100% stock I couldn't even tell it had a turbo. There's certainly enough fuel in it, I'm at 3000us at 23k rail with the event 50% balanced the whole way through. It's a pretty hot tune for a stock truck. I was expecting it to hit high 40s like I've seen a lot of other trucks do that I've tuned, and they all do it on my SSR/UDC tunes. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious in the new update.

Anyone know what the turbine rpm tables do? Is it just for outlet temp calculation?
    Last edited by Turbo_Mike; 04-27-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    Thanks. I'll try that next flash. It's possible the turbo in this truck isn't that great. When it was 100% stock I couldn't even tell it had a turbo. There's certainly enough fuel in it, I'm at 3000us at 23k rail with the event 50% balanced the whole way through. It's a pretty hot tune for a stock truck. I was expecting it to hit high 40s like I've seen a lot of other trucks do that I've tuned, and they all do it on my SSR/UDC tunes. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious in the new update.

Anyone know what the turbine rpm tables do? Is it just for outlet temp calculation?
    I chased this for a while too. Then i just capped off the electronic controller and put in a manual one problem fixed.
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI

Tuner in Training
    Remember, WGDC increases boost. No WGDC defaults to mechanical spring value.

So to Les point, if you increase the min value, it forces the solenoid to run at a certain % and thus increasing boost.

I have my max at 100 and min at 70 (as I recall) and she stays solid at 37psi.