Thread: Twin Turbo initial tune

Tuner in Training

Twin Turbo initial tune

Still very new to HP Tuners. I finished my build on my '71 Chevelle with a Dart 406, twin turbo, tuned port injection and LS control. Tremec TKO600 manual. I have worked on the tune enough to make the car start and go pretty well with good power, but it is still far from tuned. My biggest concern is harming the engine, and I see I am experiencing some knock. Any input on where to go from here? Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I realized no log file, I will get that tomorrow!

I would say the biggest issue right now is getting the VE table in order. As you can see it's all wrong and totally choppy and uneven. I understand you are new but that's the biggest thing to get squared away for driving it around to not risk damage to the motor.

I'm not sure if you could fix that without tons of logging, I'd maybe even start over and begin again. You have a wideband right, because that's a must have here.

Also your EQ ratio under boost is set at 1.00, you want to set that to whatever fuel ratio you want to run during boost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i would not run the car that way at all, your timing and everything else setup is not correct
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 04-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Also your EQ ratio under boost is set at 1.00, you want to set that to whatever fuel ratio you want to run during boost.
    What's a good starting point for a fuel ratio under boost?

Also, I have been wondering what a good (safe) starting point is for timing? Maybe you could shed some light into this for too.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    less than half of what you have in there
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanleiker View Post
    What's a good starting point for a fuel ratio under boost?

Also, I have been wondering what a good (safe) starting point is for timing? Maybe you could shed some light into this for too.

Safe timing is to take your timing table at 100 kpa and copy it the same through the boost regions. Then you should pull at least 1 degree timing for every pound of boost. In other words, 1 degree pulled for every 7 kpa across the X axis at that Y kpa value. More or less, if at 100kpa you have 30 degs timing, at 1bar boost or 200kpa, you want to pull 15 degrees timing. That is safe most of the time, assuming the non-boost regions are tuned correctly and you dont have 40 degrees advance at tq peak. Youll find later on that keeping the timing in it to spool will help and then feeding it back in after tq peak as BMEP is lower will improve the power curve. To start though, copy the timing like I said, find your max boost, pull timing out using that formula and then interpolate up to fill in the rest.
    Last edited by matty b; 04-22-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So what I really need is a VE table to start with that will work better for a TPI. And I really need to know at what point to start pulling timing. The table goes by cly. airmass and I have no idea how that equates to anything. I do know gen. 1 small blocks need a lot more timing than LS. Anyone have any ideas on a VE table and what cly. airmass to start pulling timing?

Quote Originally Posted by Philsautobody View Post
    So what I really need is a VE table to start with that will work better for a TPI. And I really need to know at what point to start pulling timing. The table goes by cly. airmass and I have no idea how that equates to anything. I do know gen. 1 small blocks need a lot more timing than LS. Anyone have any ideas on a VE table and what cly. airmass to start pulling timing?
    That's why HPT comes with a scanner. Every car is a little different. Log cyl airmass, map, etc and see where you are.

Advanced Tuner
    The fuel map you have is good enough to start with. Follow the instructions on tuning AFR Error and the map will shape itself pretty quickly. I dunno what wastegates you are using, but you need to find a way to open them up as soon as you start going into boost so you can properly tune the entire non-boost area of the table. Once the non-boost portion is done, I take the row at 100kpa, copy it and paste it into the 200kpa line then double it on the 200 line. Reason for this is that at ~15psi, the motor should be ingesting twice the airflow that it does at atmospheric pressure. I then interpolate between 100 and 200 using the interpolate between vertical bounds. This will fill in the 100-200 area with realistic numbers. After all that is done I multiply the boosted area by 10% to make it safely rich and then lean it out as necessary.