Thread: Clean Up on Tuner Aisle ;-)

Clean Up on Tuner Aisle ;-)

So I don't know about anybody else, But, One thing I hate is clutter and mess. Especially, when it comes to wiring things up in the tuner world... So I thought I would share MY solution. ENTER... the Self-Contained Tuner Box... Taking some ideas from MOWTON and going a few steps further, I was able to completely encase my entire tuner package of Tuner, WB, and all Wiring harnesses and build myself a single tuning unit with everything I need built right in...

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

ENJOY...
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

I like it. If you really wanted to get fancy you could connect wideband and HPT OBD cable inside the box then run a single extension cable out of the box to connect to the vehicle
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Banned
    Looks good. Would lick that box.

You know Carson,.... I thought about that too... but, then the problem comes when I need the analog input as a backup. Not even sure if the pass through will work if the AEM dies. Then, I thought to myself.. "Would I get interference if I am trying to read the same data from two separate sources.?" This way, I can just use the cables I need for a given job, but still have everything contained without having to think about it. Also the Gen III's don't accept the bridge OBDII data, so I would have to run another analog input to the MPVI. I have A1 set up for my WEGO as a backup...(Just in case the AEM takes a crap when I need it), but can use the AEM with or without the bridge depending on the vehicle I'm doing. I also still need to add a Serial to USB interface for the AEM (waiting on parts). Anyway, I know it's not very elegant... But, I think it will work out nicely for my purposes. Plus there wasn't really room for all the cable coiled up (I tried it!...LOL) ..:-).
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

You might have seen it already, but I wired the analog output on my -0333 and logged it vs. the CAN output on top of each other at the same time.

The analog was quite impressive.. if I remember correctly the delay was in the thousandths of a second and the readings were for all reasonable purposes the same to several decimal places. It was really, really close.

So, I wouldn't worry about using the analog out on one if ever needed.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You might have seen it already, but I wired the analog output on my -0333 and logged it vs. the CAN output on top of each other at the same time.

The analog was quite impressive.. if I remember correctly the delay was in the thousandths of a second and the readings were for all reasonable purposes the same to several decimal places. It was really, really close.

So, I wouldn't worry about using the analog out on one if ever needed.
    So no chatter? I know analog can be slower than serial in many cases. At least it was with the WEGO IV. I had intended to wire it for serial with USB, by adding a pin to AEM #5 to a DB9, but your saying running it analog off #9 and #10 to the MPVI was just as reliable and without data degradation and lag... Interesting... :-) Something to think about.... Thanks...

Analog signal looked really nice. Matched the CAN one almost perfect

It has a separate circuit for the analog output, i.e. ground is not shared with the ground for power, so you have to make sure to connect both + and - for the analog out if you do decide to try it

I can't remember the guys name that did the testing to come up with response times for several common widebands, but his take was that the analog output on the -0333's is faster than serial, so I haven't even bothered messing with serial
    Last edited by schpenxel; 11-07-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock