Thread: Can anybody help me lock my tune file using VCM 3.2?

Tuner in Training

Can anybody help me lock my tune file using VCM 3.2?

I read the post how to lock it but my tune details would not show the same double click notices.
    Whats wrong with it and how do I lock my tune file?

I'm currently using VCM v3.2 but the tune was made with v2.24 by a local tuner

Thanks!

options.png

tune detail.png

I think you have to put it in the custom key parameter when you are in the write window after you connect to the vehicle. Most tuners don't lock their tunes. Kind of a D**k thing to do. This is just so if there is a problem the customer doesn't have to take the vehicle to the tuner to have it unlocked. I've personally never locked a tune..
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We do not offer tunerlocking for E67.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    I think you have to put it in the custom key parameter when you are in the write window after you connect to the vehicle. Most tuners don't lock their tunes. Kind of a D**k thing to do. This is just so if there is a problem the customer doesn't have to take the vehicle to the tuner to have it unlocked. I've personally never locked a tune..
    As a customer, not a tuner, that's true and I thank how most tuners care for the convenience of their customers.
    But how do you prevent other tuners copying your work?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    So assuming GM LSA(6.2L Supercharged V8 for CTS-V)is E67, is there anyway to prevent copying the e67 tune file?
    I saw there is Tunerlock and filelock? I dont really understand the difference but maybe filelock would work?

I recently got a decent tune file from my tuner via email since I'm stationed oversea.
    And I'm planning to have a dyno in this area(Asia) and afraid some tuners may copy the file and resell it to others

They know how the system of HPT works.

Bill, Would that be correct though.. ? You lock it in the write screen..?
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

Quote Originally Posted by uptownv View Post
    As a customer, not a tuner, that's true and I thank how most tuners care for the convenience of their customers.
    But how do you prevent other tuners copying your work?
    Most of the tuners here share their tunes anyway if someone asks... So what would be the point.. It's not like there is huge competition in a given area that tuners are cutting each others throats for customers, and it's kind of a niche`market anyway...

I recently got a decent tune file from my tuner via email since I'm stationed oversea.
    And I'm planning to have a dyno in this area(Asia) and afraid some tuners may copy the file and resell it to others

They know how the system of HPT works.
    True, but if you are using your laptop, How would they get the file in the first place...?

Tuner in Training
    True, but if you are using your laptop, How would they get the file in the first place...?
    Hu?

They can always read my file if they have their own hpt and laptop. They do have to spend 2 credits for it though

Hu?

They can always read my file if they have their own hpt and laptop. They do have to spend 2 credits for it though
    You are absolutely correct. IF they have HP and use their own laptop and MPVI they could read the unlocked tune from your vehicle, but, I think you are misconstruing my point. If you are going to be present for the Dyno, and you are using your HP Tuner and Laptop to do the tune, and you do not allow them to hook their own equipment in, they can't copy your file. And if you tuner locked it the person doing the tune for you wouldn't be able to adjust the tune anyway.... As far as spending credits...actually they don't need to spend anything. The HP Tuner software can read ANY other HP tune as long as it is unlocked... They can even copy anything from it to use on another tune without spending any credits what so ever. There is actually a copy all differences feature built into the editor itself just for that purpose... They could even go right to the repository and do the same thing as long as a tune that is similar (not even exact) to their application has been uploaded, just to use as a baseline to get a tune started.... Even the tunes posted on the forum itself are fair game, as anyone who opens one has it automatically saved on their PC's hard drive by the HP software... That's why I say there really is no point to locking a tune... That's all... JMHO... Take it for what it is...

Banned
    Most tuners don't lock their tunes. Kind of a D**k thing to do.
    If only mine didn't. I'd be tuning my car right now instead of looking for ways to unlock it

BAN COMPUTER/TUNE LOCKING!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    If only mine didn't. I'd be tuning my car right now instead of looking for ways to unlock it

BAN COMPUTER/TUNE LOCKING!
    Yes... I've been following your other thread Mr. Smith and I feel your pain.... Like I said earlier... IT'S A D**K MOVE... Hope you get it unlocked. Sadly there are some tuners out there who think they are the only ones who can do a tune and that their "Masterpiece" should only be handled by them... Fortunately, it is a very small %. But it seems like you got one of them.... I know it probably doesn't matter at this point, but if it was me... I would have already scrapped the pcm and bought a refurb and had it flashed to stock... WHICH I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST... It cost me but I had a new PCM in three days and began tuning away... As it seems you have been trying to get this thing read for longer than that....

Locking seems to be getting less and less common at least.

I could almost understand it years and years ago when far fewer people knew how to make changes properly, but these days I really don't see the point

At the very least I hope he unlocks it for you
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Heres my take on tunerlocking.

GM tunerlocks their vehicles if you think about it, if someone then makes changes to the cal and adds 20* of timing and blows the engine he could then just plop in the stock cal bring it back to gm and try to claim it under warranty, then people wonder why GM and others now check the CVN's for changes to the calibration.

Well tuners that tunerlock their ecm's are usually doing it for the same reason, I've heard horror stories about tunershop xyz builds a combo for a customer, tunes it, sends it out the door with a specified warranty, customer then changes the calibration and the engine blows then brings it back to the shop claiming warranty.

NEither of these cases are fair, neither to the tunershop or GM, so yes I see a point in tunerlocking.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Banned
    Yes... I've been following your other thread Mr. Smith and I feel your pain.... Like I said earlier... IT'S A D**K MOVE... Hope you get it unlocked. Sadly there are some tuners out there who think they are the only ones who can do a tune and that their "Masterpiece" should only be handled by them... Fortunately, it is a very small %. But it seems like you got one of them.... I know it probably doesn't matter at this point, but if it was me... I would have already scrapped the pcm and bought a refurb and had it flashed to stock... WHICH I HAVE DONE IN THE PAST... It cost me but I had a new PCM in three days and began tuning away... As it seems you have been trying to get this thing read for longer than that....
    I don't want to make this thread about me.. but I had to reply..
    Thank you (Shpenx too) and I agree with you.
    I called my old tuner today and asked him if he can unlock it and he said he could but would charge me $150, or $100 cash. If I didn't like him I would've lost it at him and demanded he unlock it for nothing. He had no right to lock anything of mine. It's like taking your car to a mechanic for a wheel alignment then him locking your steering wheel with a clamping device, then charging you $150 when you ask him to remove it. Criminal.
    Luck(il)y for me, I work at a wrecking yard these days, so I'm going to switch my PCM for another. Just have to wait now until we get another LS1-powered car. Maybe a day or 3.

Tuner in Training
    Heres my take on tunerlocking.

GM tunerlocks their vehicles if you think about it, if someone then makes changes to the cal and adds 20* of timing and blows the engine he could then just plop in the stock cal bring it back to gm and try to claim it under warranty, then people wonder why GM and others now check the CVN's for changes to the calibration.

Well tuners that tunerlock their ecm's are usually doing it for the same reason, I've heard horror stories about tunershop xyz builds a combo for a customer, tunes it, sends it out the door with a specified warranty, customer then changes the calibration and the engine blows then brings it back to the shop claiming warranty.

NEither of these cases are fair, neither to the tunershop or GM, so yes I see a point in tunerlocking.
    Thanks Bill.

So eventually. Are you sure there is no way to tunerlock or any kind of lock for E67?