Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with car surging after cam install

Tuner in Training

Help with car surging after cam install

Hi, I just installed a cam on my 08 G8 and I've been getting some surging deceleration especially when under 10mph. I have idle speed set at 700 and on deceleration when it downshifts into 1st gear it drops to around 600 then will rev back up to around 700 causing the surge(I believe). Just wondering what I need to adjust to solve this problem.

Tuning Addict
    You'll want to post the current tune and a log of it happening... Most likely your min air is too low and/or your air adapts and spark corrections are still OE and overly aggressive...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Ok I have added a scan file along with my latest tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    you would have to go to the idle airflow table and bump it up a bit on whatever gear your having trouble and it should fix it
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

I can't get the log to open. Something about invalid file header? Might try uploading it again.

I agree with Josh though.. I'd try increasing min airflow first.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    you need to tune both MAP and MAF to stabilize the car and get things in line
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I can't get the log to open. Something about invalid file header? Might try uploading it

I agree with Josh though.. I'd try increasing min airflow first.
    Yeah,sorry about that. I just tried to open it myself and can't. My computer froze on me shortly after I saved the file and vcm scanner was still open so I think it messed up the file when I shut it down. I'll do another scan this afternoon.

And I have already increased the min airflow by 20% over stock. Would that still not be enough?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteoutg8gt View Post
    Yeah,sorry about that. I just tried to open it myself and can't. My computer froze on me shortly after I saved the file and vcm scanner was still open so I think it messed up the file when I shut it down. I'll do another scan this afternoon.

And I have already increased the min airflow by 20% over stock. Would that still not be enough?
    IIRC, I had to go about 30% or more on the minimum idle airflow with my G8. What cam?

Advanced Tuner
    Just compared your tune to mine. Add some more minimum airflow...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Just compared your tune to mine. Add some more minimum airflow...
    How much more?

Tuner in Training
    I have the streetmaster cam from rcr. 219/227 with 612/619 lift, 112 lsa

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteoutg8gt View Post

Log idle adapt advance and try to see what's going on. If it's trying to add a bunch of timing to keep it from stalling then you probably need to increase it more. It won't hurt anything to try some more. With a stock cam on my car I had to bump min air up quite a bit after installing a supercharger (more than 20% for sure)

Potential Tuner
    Try this, and see how it reacts:

MinIdle air.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    Here is what mine looks like. I have the Livernois Stage 2C... 224/236 620/620 117

minairflow.jpg

Potential Tuner
    Pretty similar to mine

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah it is pretty close. LOL

Potential Tuner
    Also, take away some of the Overspeed/Underspeed spark. You are seeing a 29-30* jump. (idle apadptive spark control) Try to bring it around -8 Over to 9 Under in the gear.
    Last edited by jschrock10; 04-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Here's my latest scan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I just noticed that when I'm braking when I get to about 7mph the timing drops to -9 or -10 then jumps back up to around 28 or so.

Tuning Addict
    Is this thing NA? If so your original min air table was about 1.5 to 2g/s too high. Your min air table in that one was set up more for a cam and blower combo...

I recommend putting the min air table back like it was in your first post, change your percent max and percent max brakes to 2.48, multiply (under you idle tab) airflow proportional by 1.2 and then your idle integral airflow table by .5 and see what this does... There are some other things you can do in the spark tables if this doesn't fix everything...

Then as Sultan pointed out - tune your ve table and MAF both - you'll find this to help A LOT...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-19-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC