Thread: Cooling fans on 2003 Tahoe

Tuner in Training

Cooling fans on 2003 Tahoe

Hi!
    I am in a progress of swapping a 03 tahoe engine into a 65 Chevy, and am also a newbe on HP tuners

According to get the cooling fans to be controlled by the pcm I do have some questions;
    - What causes the fan control relay1 in pcm (pin C1 42) to close and output the ground signal to the relay?
    - Is it sufficient that the engine coolant temp sensor reaches the preset value, or is it other parameters that needs to be met before it can output the signal?

You know I have rewired the harness and want to benchtest before putting it into car.
    I have no AC, and in HP Tuners VCM editor I have set fan 1 to start at 109 and enabled #2 fans.
    When I monitor the temp (VCM scanner) when heating up the sensor, nothing happens when temp reaches 109...?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Advanced Tuner
    The only two conditions needed to engage cooling fan 1 is Coolant and Vehicle Speed Enable be at or above the VSS. If you want the fans to work at idle and stopped, make sure enable speed is set at 0 mph, disable speed is normally around 25mph. You can also just use the bi directional controls in the scanner and enable the fans that way if all you wanna do is make sure the computer will turn them on.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks alot!!
    I will try it out!

Tuner in Training
    I cannot get it engaged..
    Here is a screen shot of my setup:
    Fan.png
    fan.02.png
    When I use the VCM scanner control, I can turn it on manually.
    Where do I set the enable speed? Can only se an option to disable..? Is it under the transmission block?

Thanks ahead!

Advanced Tuner
    You have two things going on, first is that you are in celcius, you may want that, but I dunno. Second, can you post your tune? 03 Trucks trucks had a few different setups available and it'd be easier to just see what you are dealing with. Since we know you can turn them on, we just need to get your settings correct.

Tuner in Training
    Hi, and tanks for quick reply!!
    Enclosed is my tune. Actually it is a copy of a 03`Tahoe Flex-fuel tune that I`ve downloded from HP Tuners Tune Repository. That`s because the pcm that was shipped along my engine had a tune from a 03`6.0 Liter silverado. (Shipped wrong pcm)
    As you can see I`ve disabled VATS and Flex-fuel, and also AC that`s not needed in my setup. I`ve also activated #2 Fan on pin 33 J2.
    Hopefully I`ve done something wrong in the tune that prevent fans to engage.
    Thanks again for helping me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    How are you attempting to engage the fans on the bench? Are you sticking a coolant sensor in water or what? Those fan temps are hotter than youll be able to achieve even with a pot of water boiling on the stove.

Tuner in Training
    I carefully put a soldering iron close to the sensortip and monitor the value in VCM scanner. I`ve done this on several applications without problems.

Advanced Tuner
    What is the scanner reading the coolant sensor at? Is it exceeding the insanely high temps you have it set at?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, the temp goes up over 120 degree Celcius.
    I monitor it all the way from 20 deg. to 120 deg. ++, but no engagement at pin 42 and 33............
    I`ve also tried lower values of start/stop. Still no engagement.....

Advanced Tuner
    can you make them work via the scan tool in the bidirectional controls?

Tuner in Training
    Yes I can.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't think you will get it to work on a bench. The engine needs to be running to engage the Fans, or the engine needs to have been running, and the after shut down Fan routines enabled.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, but this bench test would then be a simulation of an engine that just have been running, as long as the temp sensor reaches the preset value............?
    Maybe I should try to turn the ignition off when the temp is above setpoint.....

Advanced Tuner
    It still won't work ... the PCM is smarter than that. It needs to be in an operating vehicle to function. Bench testing is great for some things, but not for others.

Tuner in Training
    Then I have to assemble the harness in the car and give it a try. Hopefully it`s ok as long as it works with the bidirectional controls.

Advanced Tuner
    If it works with bidirectional, it will work with the settings. I do hope you lower that settings though, they are awfully hot.

Tuner in Training
    I sure will lower the settings!
    Thank you both for all help, I really appreciate!