Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still lean in stoich!

Tuner in Training

Still lean in stoich!

Heres my file,just idling for a couple minutes to see that it wont ever go stoich, cant figure out whats going on, anybody see something Im doing wrong?
    Thanks!

test, online help file.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    We need to see a tune. Are you in open loop?

Tuner in Training
    OK that test file was just an idle from the scanner, I will also load my tune, I didnt know what to post up for files, Ill grab the tune as well, thanks for your response. I am getting pretty frustrated with this, I cant seem to get anywhere for some reason.
    Lemme know if this is what you need, thanks!
    And it was in CL during that test since it was at idle yet OL was enabled, not in SD mode
    -Jason

4-16 current tune.hpt
    Last edited by Speed Freek; 04-16-2016 at 06:58 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you do that tune? If so its totally fucked. What parts are on this? I'd like to know your setup in full including injectors, cam, engine size ect.
    Last edited by matty b; 04-16-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Nope it was on the ECU when I got it. I figured I could at least get it to run stoich in CLosed loop, but I cant no matter what.
    BTW I have a 2001 LS1 W/ ported 243s and a baby cam, (slightly larger than an LS6 cam)
    How can I unfuck it??

Tuner in Training
    Should I grab a stock tune from the depository and paste the VE and MAP tables?? Or os there more than that going on, as you can probably tell I am new to HP Tuners.
    Haltech standalone was soooo much easier on my turbo 4 cyl!!
    There are too many parameters in HP Tuners for my tiny brain apparently

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, start with a bone stock tune for your application and copy EVERYTHING over. That is the epitome of a raped tune VE over 115% on a NA motor, PE settings on top of that that are insanely rich. Stoich value could be overlooked for E10 fuel but there is a lot wrong. If you just bought this, you may wanna go through and do a physical check by pulling the intake and changing gaskets, look for brocken PCV hoses and check the intake for leaks or tears. If you did just buy this, they probably hacked the hell out of it to run half way acceptably instead of fixing a problem with the motor itself. Also do a fuel pressure test and make sure that fuel is stable in order to rule out a bad pump or FPR.

Needless to say, that tune needs to go.

Tuner in Training
    Stock injectors, stock short block LS1 (5.7) 243 ported heads and the cam specs are 285/292, Lift .560/.560, Lobe Sep. 114

Tuner in Training
    Motor is solid, I just rebuilt it in preparation for turbo. it ran lean before the rebuild so its a continuing problem, the final AFR didnt change much from the old setup, but seemed a tad leaner due to the better flowing head and cam.

BTW its an LS1 swap into a Toyota Tacoma, I custom built the headers and a 4" intake, ported TB, and the 243 heads and cam like I said above

OK Ill grab a stock tune and start from scratch.
    And I went in and just multiplied by 1.15 to the map as a quick try to add fuel to see if it changed anything which it did not, figured if I made things super rich at least I would see it swing that way and it trims fuel right back to 16.5-17 AFR at idle and CL cruise. So I didnt tune it persay I just tried to band aid it to add fuel to look for a change..

I got the ECU from a member on LStech who did the rear O2 delete and other mods so he sent me an ECU that was supposed to be stock tune before I got HP Tuners, the motor is good to go! I didnt get them both at the same time.

I'll start building a new tune now. But did you see anything that would cause a lean CL AFR??
    Last edited by Speed Freek; 04-17-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    A 02-04 Y body LS6 tune should be pretty damn close although you are gonna have to retune the MAF table immediately as you got a bigger one now. As far as the motor is concerned, we are talking intake and exhaust leaks, possible dirty injectors ect. The long block has little to do with what Im talking about.

Tuner in Training
    After checking it against a known stock tune all that was changed was the VE and MAF calibration, in which I added 15% to both to try and get it to richen up. As well as upping the rev limiter and disabling the Cat overtemp

The truck was running the same exact way in CL at idle before and after the changes, I will change it back but its still going to run really lean, so Im still at square one it seems. Sonuva!

Tuner in Training
    Copy that, I just replaced all the gaskets, from the head up with all new ones, no air leaks. the TB is the same size really, I just smoothed the inlet of the TB for better flow but it is modified so I get it.
    Dirty injectors, possibly, but it seems to run pretty smooth without any obvious signs of them being clogged. Fuel pressure is good.

Ill look for a Y body tune to try out but Im still stumped as to why I cant get it to run at stoich. When I run it in SD tune mode for tuning purposes (No fuel trims and no MAF and whatever else I did that was mentioned in the help section here) I can get it to idle at any AFR I want, but once I add all the sensors back in it goes super lean again.
    And I just replaced both 02 sensors 2 weeks ago with brand new ones.
    Last edited by Speed Freek; 04-17-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    OK back at it, once I change the VE and MAF tables to add fuel it starts to trim fuel into the negatives and ends up at 16-16.5 and if I pull fuel it adds to the trims to end up at the exact same AFR, this is getting ridiculous.
    Almost wondering if I have a bad AFR sensor but it seems to work fine when driving, I was able to get it to the high 12 AFR at WOT.

I copied all the tables from an 02 Corvette and it was so lean my WB said LEAN!!
    Last edited by Speed Freek; 04-16-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    You're wideband could be an issue, but you posted a tune that you said came from someone else that was trying to add so much fuel, it would drown an LS7. You have a physical problem that you need to work through. The modded MAF sensor is a big red flag as they are made just slightly better than you can. The screen is important as is a consistent, machined diameter and surface. That is probably your problem as you said that you could get good data when you are in SD.

Advanced Tuner
    I also said you need to tune the MAF immediately, Im guessing you did NOT do that considering how fast you came back to post? If you have more air going through than the MAF is accounting for, its gonna be... wait for it.... FUCKING LEAN! Tune the MAF, run SD or put a stock MAF on and hope for the best without tuning that one.

Tuner in Training
    I made a mistake, I meant that I smoothed the entry on the TB not the MAF...the MAF is completely unmodified.

I am going to try and install another WB tomorrow to make sure I am not reading that wrong causing me to chase my tail as all this isnt making sense.

I was the one that added to the VE and the MAF by multiplying by 1.15 just this morning trying to get it to run pig rich just to see that the changes can be made.
    But when in SD mode the WB seems to work fine since I can get it to idle at 13 no problem...
    I am still going to swap out the WB tomorrow to see if the readings change. Gotta figure this thing out before I go turbo.

Tuning Addict
    Your most likely not running at stoic in closed loop because of the new O2 locations from the custom made headers. You'll need to change your integrator delay "add to this by multiplying by 1.15 for instance" and change your airflow mode under proportional by multiplying by .9 - wouldn't change proportional any more than this...

Hope this helps you out.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    Just looked at your closed loop fueling - you might want to start with OE settings...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    find attached

also adjust your OPEN/CLOSED and injector data if its off
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Your most likely not running at stoic in closed loop because of the new O2 locations from the custom made headers. You'll need to change your integrator delay "add to this by multiplying by 1.15 for instance" and change your airflow mode under proportional by multiplying by .9 - wouldn't change proportional any more than this...

Hope this helps you out.
    Thanks I was also thinking this could possibly contribute since the ECU is obviously chasing something. And yes the 02 sensors are no longer in the stock location and one is a bit further back than the other due to space constraints. I will change the integrator delay and see if I can get it to get closer to stoich.
    Thank you, any input helps right now, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Just looked at your closed loop fueling - you might want to start with OE settings...
    OK I believe that was the map that had 15% added to the base maps, I already reverted back and the ECU is still trying to go lean, if I add fuel it pulls it, no matter which way I went with the base maps it always wants to idle at 16+ AFR.
    Thank you. I will revert to stock base map, I have been going back and fourth with changes in fueling and the CL AFR always ends up the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    find attached

also adjust your OPEN/CLOSED and injector data if its off
    Thank you I will check that as well, the injectors are still stock as well as fuel pressure but I'll double check that to verify.
    I appreciate your help.

Thanks everyone for your input, it really helps me out!