Thread: If A Shop Uses HPT 3.0 To Tune Me, And I Have HPT Also, Do the Licenses Clash?

If A Shop Uses HPT 3.0 To Tune Me, And I Have HPT Also, Do the Licenses Clash?

I to have a reputable shop Dyno Tune my Dodge.
    I have the vehicle licensed.
    I want to be able to have the capability to flash back to stock if needed, or possibly make changes if required down the road for future mods and the like.

What do I need to do in order to make sure when I leave the shop I have control of the tune?
    Do I request he use my interface? Or do I just do a full read with my interface?

Thanks,
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Use your interface.

I believe that if they license your file and make any changes to it, you now no longer can tune it because it would have been changed with a different interface. You would have to re-license it and waste more credits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I would license your car with your interface which you have done. Read and save a copy of your original tune. Have them tune your car with their interface. This allows both you and the tuner to make changes to your tune and even email adjustments. Make sure the tuner does not lock the tune.

I have done this with tuners who have tuned my car with their interface and have made changes myself or with the tuner through email.

From my experience, as long as that interface is licensed with the VIN#, that interface can make changes to the file.
    Last edited by Mike's LS3; 04-14-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Use your interface.

I believe that if they license your file and make any changes to it, you now no longer can tune it because it would have been changed with a different interface. You would have to re-license it and waste more credits.
    This is not accurate.

If the owner licensed it, took it to a shop and the shop used their own interface and licensed it again, the owners licences and subsequent use is still intact. The shop can send the owner the latest tune file or the owner can re-read the car to get a copy of the current file and tweak from there.

Edit: looks like this was touched on above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's LS3 View Post

From my experience, as long as that interface is licensed with the VIN#, that interface can make changes to the file.

Correct. As long as there is no tuner locking at play.
    Jaime

3.0 is not backward compatible with 2.24 files. So basically anything new you do on 3.0 will not be compatible with 2.24 files.
    In my opinion 3.0 is a waste and a step backwards for hptuners.

It is def. not a step backwards. What issues are you having?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Thanks Guys, Good to know.

Especially if they go out of business or something.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Just to be clear: V3 can open 2.24 files no problem. The previous statement about compatibility is wrong.