Thread: Vintage Gas Pusher Motorhome LBZ Swap

Tuner in Training

Vintage Gas Pusher Motorhome LBZ Swap

I need some help. I'm pushing towards a test fire of the engine this weekend but have hit a snag.
    With this swap (07 LBZ/Allison) I'm using the factory dash cluster and BCM, I powered up the system last week and with HPTuners was able to pull my tune off the ECM/TCM, I disabled the VATS and installed that tune(only change I did). So I know the high speed data is working properly.
    After hooking up my dash cluster I noticed it wasn't responding to key on power other than to give me a check engine and pass lock light. I had initially thought I had a bad cluster but since most everything in the dash cluster works off Class 2 serial data I decided to see if that was the problem. I tested for voltage at Pin 2 of the DLC and it's dead(should be approx 5vdc from what I've read). I also tested for it right at the splice pack (SP205) and found it to be dead as well.
    Do I have to trick the BCM to get it to generate class 2 data even with VATS disabled?
    I'm not using the factory key/ignition do I need to convince the BCM that I am even though VATS is disabled?
    Also curious if the relearn values can be set to zero?
    Here's a link to a picture album of the project:
    http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/phot...sp?albumid=127
    Len
    72 Jeep Commando (10" stretch)
    06TBSS-LS2(24X) converted for 0411PCM, Z06 Cam/4L65e/NV241OR
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome
    07Duramax LBZ Allison 1000RDS

Tuner in Training
    Well it appears I may have been running a fire drill.
    I plugged in my obdII scanner and I'm not reading any loss of communication codes, what I had thought was zero volts on the class 2 data line was just very low voltage (around .5vdc). I then went and checked my 06 Chev Colorado and my rockcrawler with an 06 LS2 in it and both of those also were less than 1 volt.
    So...it may be just what it appears...a bad dash cluster...which I suppose is about the easiest to fix as I found a local guy who does full rebuilds for $170, another give away should have been that when I shut the key off and the cluster only had battery power the headlight "bright" indicator comes on dimly.
    I have a scan gauge II and plugged it in and I get water and inlet air temp no problem so I think I may still be able to fire this thing up this weekend. I still haven't wired any of the lighting/dimmer circuits to the cluster but I can't imagine that would influence it's power up..
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome

What was all done to the wiring harness?
    SOCAL DIESEL TRUCKS
    WWW.SOCALDIESELTRUCKS.COM
    MCFOO RACING
    WWW.MCFOORACING.COM

"This is temporary, unless it works"

-"Black Betty" 2006 GMC LBZ CCSB
    McFoo Racing "Ludicrous Speed" Efi Live
    Inglewood Transmission
    PPE Lift Pump (Pump #2)
    Died ~ 08/17/2015
    ReBorn ~ 10/17/2015

Thanks to all that helped me
    - The McRats
    - Mike L @ Inglewood Transmission
    - Dan & Drew @ PPE

Tuner in Training
    Very little was done to the harness, I'm using the factory underhood fuse box and left the interface connections. I'm using the BCM.
    I found that I had two problems. First was the dash cluster needing new stepper motors, second was that I was missing an "accessory/run" voltage to connector C4 of the BCM.
    All is working fine now and I was able to start the engine yesterday on the first attempt.
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome

Tuner in Training
    Any insight to the difference between Final Drive Ratio "Ratio" and "Trans"? My motorhome rear axle ratio is 4.62, should the "Trans" ratio be different?
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    Trans ratio should be fine as long as it doesn't have a different geared planetary. Final ratio is I believe axle? I can't remember.

Tuner in Training
    I went into the help section and it says they both are the rear axle gear ratio. It may be an option if you had a two speed rear axle or something like that. Just strange that the stock tune has 3.73 listed in one field and 4.10 in the other...
    I read quite a few reports of the same.
    I'm just going to change both boxes to 4.62 (my axle gear ratio).
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome

i have to say that is an awesome project.Impressive attention to detail and quality craftsmanship.

Tuner in Training
    Down to the last code. I'm still kicking a P0101 MAF out of range. It is an actual as I installed a completely custom intake system that seems to be flowing about 20% more air. My idle MAF reading is at 60g/sec vs the mid to high 40's of a stock LBZ intake.
    Can I modify the MAF table (airflow to volts) to accommodate for this?
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome

Tuner in Training
    Solution was to multiply all the cell values in the MAF table by .66 it brought my idle MAF reading down to 40g/sec. No more P0101.
    Len
    76 FMC 2900r Motorhome