Thread: Question about sensors and programming

Tuner in Training

Question about sensors and programming

I have always wondered about how important it is to use the matching sensors on an engine MAP/MAF/and 02, to the VIN number of the ECM. I understand that the throttle pedal and ECM need to match. But can the sensors be tweeked or tuned in the software of the ECM?

Advanced Tuner
    To my knowledge they don't have to match the ECM. Hell I wouldn't even guess they always have to match the manufacturer (Ford on Chevy etc)

I decided to eliminate the MAF on my truck, but since it was a five wire sensor I needed to wire up a IAT sensor. One from a 2002 Camaro worked fine. Made a couple calibrations in the tune to verify proper data and works perfectly.

Obviously the sensor would need to work in the same way, Like I believe a Ford MAF works on a different principle than a GM MAF. (something about one using frequency and the other using Voltage. Something I read in passing so don't quote me)

Also considering I am using a 2002 PCM from a V6 Blazer to run my 98 Suburban with a V8, and using a tune from a 2001 Express van...

Tuner in Training
    Cool that's what I was thinking, I thought a good tuner could make everything work. Thanks for the input.