Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LNF KR issue

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    There is a lot of reasons to change away from stock, and it has nothing to do with just smoothness. How about motor safety for one! A car that drops timing at WOT becau of a piss poor table from stock, or one that causes a ton of heat build up because you decided to up the boost and not mess with other tables. Why do you think I get so mad at people just guessing on here and not asking questions!? Why do you think I don't trust these so called "Pro Tuners"!? Sorry for the frustration, but to say you have been doing this for 3 weeks, and then to give some long extreme answer saying if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of attitude, is exactly what is wrong with tuners. If you don't fully understand how these tables work, and more importantly, what is safe for the car and what is not, then why are you calling anything good?
    Look, I declared right away what experience I had so anyone reading my post can decide based on that experience if they want to continue reading my post or completely ignore it. Everyone was warned and I claimed nothing beyond what I really am.

My "long" post contained some clear information and some fundamental strategy. Short posts while giving something to start with leave many people with just enough information to be dangerous and not enough to keep from getting into trouble. I will stick to my long posts and to each their own. I am not forcing anyone to read anything.

I and I will stand by my strategy to start with a stock tune and change things one at a time, in small increments, noting how it affects things by logging. Start with AFR (PE table in this case), richen it up, to keep things safer as you move to the next step. Then on to air flow (boost using the various PID tables I mentioned). Next timing, adding it in slowly a few cells at a time logging/noting effects and watching for knock.

All the other tables can be changed, but really don't need to be changed, or not by much and should be saved for last in my opinion. I just think if you are screwing around with optimum spark at the same time as spark for example, the prop gain and max gain at the same time as WG duty cycle as another example, you just end up making too many changes at once and it gets confusing for new tuners on this PCM.

I do thank you and the other experts for the information, but it is at times (even after reading all the bibles which I have done) confusing. And the many short and vague posts I have seen from some on here, I don't think help by being purposely short and vague. If you want to make it short and vague to save your time or hold back specific knowledge you don't wish to share, then that is fine and certainly your choice. But I don't agree that it helps anyone new who is learning. It just gives enough information for someone to begin trial and error in some tables that might very well be dangerous to be modifying, and they don't have enough information on what they actually do, what approximate changes have a how much effect, etc.....

I ran into one situation for example that more detail in another post would have been helpful: was getting quite of bit of KR one time out driving, and then none at all the next. Noticed my actual timing seemed to be different that what I thought I should be getting from my main spark tables. Turns out the temperature correction table adds timing at low temps and I was noticing this because warm days I did not get it and there was not knock, and cold days I was getting extra timing from this table and it was causing KR. I hope by my long winded answer right here someone will benefit from this and not have to discover it on their own (didn't see that in any of the bibles, btw). I have at least 1/2 dozen more examples like this that I could share that I did not see in any of the bibles or short/vague posts either.

I do agree (just by my example above) that the factory tune might not be "great" in all areas. But for the sake of getting a smooth idle for example (if you do't mind the factory idle characteristics), I stand by my statement "don't fix it if it ain't broke". You create a lot more work and even by statements I think I saw from you or one of the other experts on here, might end up with an idle that works well under very specific conditions but not all (ie: might not work if you drive up into the mountains at high elevation). Not saying never touch the tables or cells of tables that affect idle, but it is hardly necessary if you are not inclined and not dangerous if you don't. Optimum spark is another I could put into this category. To each their own though.

Lastly I will add that I think no one should be touching or tuning if they do not have a quite good grasp of basic tuning theory outside of any of these PCM tables and values (these are just a means to ends to affect the physical engine anyway). IE: If you don't know what might cause high EGT's and what those might do to your engine for example, don't touch it. (along with a ton of other basic tuning theory).

/end of rant and my second long post.

Oh my.

I like the part about cam tables being optimized from the factory. May want to use search button.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe View Post
    Oh my.

I like the part about cam tables being optimized from the factory. May want to use search button.
    I did use the search button:
    http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tunin...7/#post7416082

Post #17.

And his post #18 gives me a pretty good indication that he know's what he is talking about.

You can argue with Matt from ZZP about the cam tables. (I am not qualified because I have not played with them on the dyno nor do I plan on it based on Matt's comments and others I have found).

Tuner in Training
    Please don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all the information you, Mike, Nick and the other guys have posted up here. Huge head start from having to learn it on my own for sure.

But you and Mike tend to leave things incomplete or vague (seemingly on purpose) and often sound somewhat condescending. Neither of which are helpful or encouraging for new arrivals like myself.

If you see anything in my "long" post that seems incorrect , dangerous, or out of order with reality, please feel free point it out. I am always open to constructive criticism and to learn and grow from it.

Advanced Tuner
    I did point out what was wrong with your approach, and it's the mentality of I know better that stopped me from posting before. As for vague, how do? I posted pictures and gave detailed ways and said ASK QUESTIONS so I can GIVE the info I may have not put in. I am GIVING away the answers when they should be learned from experience in my opinion. I am going against my beliefs in ordered to help the community. I'm sorry but I could care less what Matt from ZZP has to say, or any other "pro tuner". They are not the ones on here giving advice, and quite frankly, they are the ones that have a tune almost exactly the same as the GMPP tunes, yet you guys take their advice. My reference to tunes is not geared towards Matt from ZZP nor anyone else specific. I have seen tunes from "pro tuners" and I WILL NOT put them on blast for anything by bringing their name up. I took a ton of time to explain why your approach, in my opinion, is not correct. You didn't want my advice, that's fine. Everyone does things differently.

Top end of cam tables. Your snap judgement and lack of searching on this forum is why no one responds. All your questions have been answered. It's no condescension. It's people tired off seeing the same post 50 times when it's all been explained.

Search lnf race cams and you'll learn something that even ZZP didn't tell you about. You're welcome for the extra 0.3sec.

Senior Tuner
    color me amused by the cam table comments. Whats funny is, i personally picked up a crap load of response and mid range shens by tinkering with the cam tables. then again, what do i know.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Area, I love how you come out of nowhere and disappear again like its nothing hahaha. You are like a superhero for tuning lol.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Area, I love how you come out of nowhere and disappear again like its nothing hahaha. You are like a superhero for tuning lol.
    I'm just the neighborhood resident weirdo i guess.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.