Thread: Serial Out for LM-2, clarification on what I need....I have no serial on laptop!

Question Serial Out for LM-2, clarification on what I need....I have no serial on laptop!

I am looking for specifics on how to get my LM2 MTS serial out to connect to my laptop, which does not have a serial port. I think it goes like this..........

Innovate PN 3746, serial out from the LM2. Then PN 3733 goes from 3746 to my computer. Sound right?

This from the LM2 as a serial out (db9 plug I think)...

Then I connect this with the serial out from the LM2 and put the USB end from this into my computer....which hopefully I can get to log into V3.0XX .

I had to do something similar with my AEM UEGO to get it to log into ECU Flash for my Subaru. I plan to build these cables too, I just want to make sure I build the right ones!!!
    Thanks for the input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Short version, yes. Basically need Innovate's little adapter to get a "regular" serial port, then a serial port to USB adapter to connect it to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Short version, yes. Basically need Innovate's little adapter to get a "regular" serial port, then a serial port to USB adapter to connect it to your computer.
    Well Schpenx you very much, I appreciate the clarification!

You only need a mini usb cable.
    The MTS serial IN/OUT is to connect it to other Innovate products. A direct connection using a mini USB cable on top of the unit to a regular USB 2.0 port in your laptop works good.
    Install the USB drivers and the laptop will see the COM port, no serial to USB adapter needed.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Didn't know the LM2 had that feature. Pretty neat. The MTX-L I was using did not so you ended up needing both.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I am interested in this thread, I have just recently purchased a LM-2 and looking to hook the LM-2 to my laptop. Being that the analog outputs of the LM-2 to the HP Tuners MPVI does not work very well.

Results looked like this.
    LM-2 Smoothness.png

So I am looking to see if hooking it up via serial was any better.

I tried what Montecarlodrag suggested doing, and just hooking the mini usb cable on the top of the Innovate Handheld to the Laptop USB port. But when I select Serial Port>Innovate, none of the channels worked.
    Serial Port Innovate.png

So interested what was found to work for others.

Spent over 10 hours on this. Tried 3 different usb to serial adapters. Does not work. Instead of getting lambda or AFR you get numbers from 0 to 3000. I am sure it is raw data. LM2 had current firmware and a Bosch 4.9 sensor. Before anyone gets to questioning the serial output. I have a breakout box on the RS232 it only uses 4 pins. 2 are ground on is TX the other RX. Not hard to wire if you have done any RS232 systems. Having been in the computer industry since 1980 I am well versed in this as all computers then ran terminals that were RS232. Do not waste your time on this. Until it is fixed in HPT nothing anyone can do. I have a ticket in.

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You only need a mini usb cable.
    The MTS serial IN/OUT is to connect it to other Innovate products. A direct connection using a mini USB cable on top of the unit to a regular USB 2.0 port in your laptop works good.
    Install the USB drivers and the laptop will see the COM port, no serial to USB adapter needed.
    Tried this again, still doesn't work.

However, I was able to get the serial feed to work using the combo of Serial Out from LM2 > Serial-USB Converter > USB cable?USB port on laptop. I had to use the transform and formula (value/68.05)+7.35. Still a bit quirky to get them to speak though, had to start/stop the logs and goof with it a bit. I’ll try to get exact steps validated tonight. Found the info on this one... http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...Feedback/page7

Banned
    Subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Spent over 10 hours on this. Tried 3 different usb to serial adapters. Does not work. Instead of getting lambda or AFR you get numbers from 0 to 3000. I am sure it is raw data. LM2 had current firmware and a Bosch 4.9 sensor. Before anyone gets to questioning the serial output. I have a breakout box on the RS232 it only uses 4 pins. 2 are ground on is TX the other RX. Not hard to wire if you have done any RS232 systems. Having been in the computer industry since 1980 I am well versed in this as all computers then ran terminals that were RS232. Do not waste your time on this. Until it is fixed in HPT nothing anyone can do. I have a ticket in.
    Wait what?
    "Everyone" here told me to buy a USB/RS232/Serial adapter to get my wideband working with my VCM Suite Standard and people were saying that's how they have their HPT wired up

God, please let this just be false information and let me be able to tune my vehicle with HP Tuners in the near future without me making custom cables, spending thousands of dollars, emailing HPT Support for help every day, spending all my free time reading posts off this forum and wanting to kill myself to rid myself of the stress and headaches brought on by these electronic devices amen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    I tried what Montecarlodrag suggested doing, and just hooking the mini usb cable on the top of the Innovate Handheld to the Laptop USB port. But when I select Serial Port>Innovate, none of the channels worked.
    Serial Port Innovate.png
    I'm pretty sure I read posts by Schpenxel regarding/fixing this last night. You had to do something to convert/fix the channels before they read properly.
    I'm sure schpenx will be here in -17 hours and help you sort out your problem.