Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: VCM Scanner 3.2.9+ Serial Wideband Feedback

Advanced Tuner
    So what is the process of requesting serial wideband support? The timing etc?
    The protocol I posted definitely works, as I have made an arduino setup to display afr from the zeitronix serial.

I understand you would have a priority system of some type to get to issues/feature requests, just wondering what the outlook is for this?
    Adding it would be a 10 minute job for a programmer with the info I provided. It certainly isn't as important as bugs, however I can't help but feel relying on an analogue output for wideband readings is another potential for error and should be avoided.

Cheers,
    Ben

Tuner in Training
    Keith,

Been a while for me but I have the newest versions and will do some Beta Testing for you. I sincerely appreciate your support for older serial protocol!!!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    If you guys are waiting for someone else to test these to see if it will work for you, you're not doing yoruself any favors. It works for some, and not for others. I can only help those that test it without success and open up support tickets.

Please download the 3.1.310 (or newer) VCM Suite BETA.

In this beta I've added support for the older Innovate Serial Protocol.

The parameters you should be logging during testing are:
    Innovate SP - Status
    Innovate SP - Stoich AFR
    Innovate SP - Lambda
    Innovate SP - AFR

If you continue to have issues, you'll need to submit your debug.dat and log file to support so we can look into it further.

If it is working for you, please post the Status while it works. It might say something like Normal (0) or Normal (1).

If it is not working for you, please describe the values you're seeing, as well as the full status Normal (0), Normal (1), etc.. whatever it says.

Tuner in Training
    GTO.Layout.xmlGTO Channels.Channels.xmlLM-2 transformed.hplLM-2.hplGTO.Layout.xmlGTO Channels.Channels.xmlLM-2 transformed.hplLM-2.hpl

VCM Scanner version # 3.2.38
    Innovate LM-2 Dual Channel: Doesn't work
    Lm-2 is about 4 years old
    Displays numbers in the 500 +/- range
    The odd thing it worked briefly, twice, then went back to the 500-/+ display
    Included log.
    Ticket ID: 45180
    Last edited by ss44; 07-21-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    2005 GTO A4 - Crate LS3 480HP - 3200 stall
    1999 SIlverado A4 - 6.0 LY6 - 4l70e - 2800 stall - 4.10 Locker

Tuner in Training
    Okay, looks like my Serial to USB into my Lenovo ThinkPad works! I get AFR readings in the latest version of VCM scanner with zero problems whatsoever!!! YAAAAHHHHHOOOOOO...Huge shout out to Keith for the protocol and support and my boy Ed Mowton for the help "Go ahead NorCal, step off the edge and dive in head first..."

Also, I did log all 4 parameters...happy to send you the log Keith.
    Last edited by NorCal06GOAT; 07-22-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Fat fingered it

Tuner in Training
    Just as an update...3.2.61 worked with my LM-2 on serial for about 2 hours. Then i used the transform function and was never able to get it back to showing AFR instead of the numbers around 500. Uninstalled, HPTuners, reloaded driver for serial to usb adapter, even switched computers, lastly i reset the LM-2. Still on the 500ish numbers. So confused, worked for 2 hours then went back to the 500ish numbers. WTF.

Potential Tuner
    Guys,

It seems like I have found the way to transform numbers like 500 to AFR. For LM-2 (and all Innovate devices I think) the transfer formula is : value/68.085 + 7.35

I tested it on LM-2 and it seems to be right. I think that numbers like 500 is just bits from 0 to 1024 where 0 is lowest AFR it can show (7.35 for innovate) and the 1024 bits is the highest (22.39) so I caculated this formula. Not sure it is, but I tried to check it for 2-3 hours on the Dyno and it was looking right all the time.

Tuner in Training
    the transfer formula is : value/68.085 + 7.35

Yep Yep Yep - That's a good formula. Not only does it make mathematical/bits&bytes sense, it's accurate. Both of my devices now read the same AFR within a tenth or so. Seems like the RS232 data stream and HP tuners is a bit faster than the LM-2 display. I think I'm in b'ness with this set up now.

Also I have found so far that the LM-2 gets very quirky when connected to ODB2 port and Logworks through the USB port. Kinda like, ya never know when some piece of the puzzle is going to crap out and need a reboot. Full disclaimer - I have not checked the firmware in my LM-2 to see if it's the latest revision. The LM-2 was new about a month ago but maybe it still has old software in it.

Regards,
    Steve

Advanced Tuner
    Any update on the zeitronix serial support?

Tuner
    So I have the latest beta file, still having the same issues as before with logging the lm1 through my serial to USB cable. I get a clean constant signal in log works so I know my USB to serial cable is working, but when I try to scan with hptuners, it will only sporadically(frame here, frame there) work. Not in any consistent time manner(ie. Baud rate mistiming) either. Is there something I'm missing with setting the scanner up? I can send a scan file to show this if needed.

Windows 10, VCM version 3.3.189

Edit-tried with a different laptop that has a serial port and had the same random data from the lm1 that I had with using a usb-serial converter
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kamikazematt; 09-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    95 Maro LS1 Swap

03 Z-71 Silveraldo, Pewter ECSB

Advanced Tuner
    So should I give up all hope of zeitronix support yet?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by moshny View Post
    Guys,

It seems like I have found the way to transform numbers like 500 to AFR. For LM-2 (and all Innovate devices I think) the transfer formula is : value/68.085 + 7.35

I tested it on LM-2 and it seems to be right. I think that numbers like 500 is just bits from 0 to 1024 where 0 is lowest AFR it can show (7.35 for innovate) and the 1024 bits is the highest (22.39) so I caculated this formula. Not sure it is, but I tried to check it for 2-3 hours on the Dyno and it was looking right all the time.

I'm using an Innovate SCG-1 (Boost controller/4.2 wideband combo) and experienced the same issue. Using the transfer formula of: value/68.085 + 7.35 with "Innovate SP - AFR", the AFR read perfect.

But I would like to use lambda with "Innovate SP - EQ Ratio" selected. I have it working OK, but I feel like there is more to be desired with my transform function lol. Sometimes its close and other times it can be off by ".2" lambda from the gauge with 488 as the function. Without LC2 as the parameter and 488 as the function, it displays a lambda value of "1XX.XX" on the scanner.

What is correct transform function? Or what is the correct way to calculate the function? Should I be doing this as a math parameter instead?

Parts List: Innovate SCG-1, gigaware serial to usb cable, VCM Scanner 3.2.129

SCG-1 Wideband Serial Logging.pngSCG-1 Wideband Serial Logging 2.png
    Last edited by lt1ray; 10-10-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    1998 Trans Am

5.3 | E85 | S476r | Powerglide | 8.8 | 3660 lbs
    Personal Best - 10s @ 142 mph - 8120 DA

Tuner in Training
    Just a quick update, I figured out the math using an Innovate SCG-1.

([31052.238]/1024) + .5

Works perfectly.

Serial EQ Working.pngSCG1_Main_475.jpg
    1998 Trans Am

5.3 | E85 | S476r | Powerglide | 8.8 | 3660 lbs
    Personal Best - 10s @ 142 mph - 8120 DA

Advanced Tuner
    I contacted support (case 54390) and they told me to add my information to this thread. I have a pair of interesting problems with my Innovate LC-1 through the serial option in V3.2.x.

Problem 1: Intermittently the scanner will stop logging in whole or part after a short and inconsistent period.
    Problem 2: Intermittently the Innovate LC-1 is not recognized by the scanner via the serial interface.

At the time of the support ticket I was using 3.2.129. P01 PCM with a 3bar OS in a swap vehicle.

Regarding problem 1: Logging the absolute bare minimum of inputs still has the same issues as my normal compliment of items. Something I realized tonight is I only seem to have problems with the scanner stopping mid-log with the 3bar OS vehicle. I logged several runs with a different P01 earlier in the day using the stock OS and had no issues. I went back to the 3 bar OS vehicle and had nothing but problems with the wideband through the serial interface. Sometimes the only gauge I would lose was the wideband through the serial interface, other times I would lose every gauge except the wideband.

Regarding problem 2:No matter what vehicle, I seem to have problems with the scanner recognizing the serial input. Sometimes several attempts to stop and start the log are required and other times restarting the scanner itself is the only solution. Either way, it's a dice roll and typically only good once.

For both issues the wideband through the MPVI seems fine.

Additionally I realized tonight that most attempts to use the Real Time Tuning feature cause the wide band to stop logging or other weirdness. Sometimes RTT crashes and other times it hangs.

Tried two different USB to serial converters (different brands).
    Tried different USB ports on my laptop.
    Tried different serial port numbers within Windows.

Does anyone else have this or a similar problem?
    I build stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by 355LT1 View Post
    the transfer formula is : value/68.085 + 7.35

Yep Yep Yep - That's a good formula. Not only does it make mathematical/bits&bytes sense, it's accurate. Both of my devices now read the same AFR within a tenth or so. Seems like the RS232 data stream and HP tuners is a bit faster than the LM-2 display. I think I'm in b'ness with this set up now.

Also I have found so far that the LM-2 gets very quirky when connected to ODB2 port and Logworks through the USB port. Kinda like, ya never know when some piece of the puzzle is going to crap out and need a reboot. Full disclaimer - I have not checked the firmware in my LM-2 to see if it's the latest revision. The LM-2 was new about a month ago but maybe it still has old software in it.

Regards,
    Steve

Have yet to get my LM-2 logging correctly. Seems like it will ready correct at first plug in but, as soon as I hit with any a/f change, it shoots to a huge number up in the hundreds+, then slowly counts down trying to reach 20.9 again. Tried the transforms above and no dice either.

Can anyone give me some basic setup/trouble shooting tips for this LM-2 Serial connection so I can add to this thread and open a ticket?

So far I've tried Serial-LM2 on all 3 USB ports using the prebuilt HPT channel. I've tried using the transform with the numbers above in the quote, and I've tried updating to the latest HPT V3.........Feel like I am just misisng something here?!?!

Got the LM-2 to work through transforming the serial input with the (value/68.05) +7.35 equation. It's quirky though; the related channels don't stay visible in my channels list every time and, I had to start/stop the log a few times each time to get the feed to come thru. Some of that could be the fact that I've tried so many times I can't recall exactly what worked but, I'll re-produce later today and validate exactly how I got it to work.Going to update to the next v3.xx and cross my fingers.

I have an old LC-1 I'm thinking of retiring. I am also thinking of running two wide bands for the narrow band simulation to eliminate the NB and use the same for wide band tuning. Can the scanner take two serial inputs from say a pair of LC-2's? I have the MPVI Pro so analog is an option too. Just curious if dual serial was possible. The wb will obviously be permanently mounted.
    94 BB Rx-7 02 LS1

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1ray View Post
    Just a quick update, I figured out the math using an Innovate SCG-1.

([31052.238]/1024) + .5

Serial EQ Working.pngSCG1_Main_475.jpg
    Just as before, worked a couple of hours and reverted to ~500 numbers on v3.4.9

However,

Works perfectly, with LTRay's formula on my LM-2

Quote Originally Posted by ss44 View Post
    Just as before, worked a couple of hours and reverted to ~500 numbers on v3.4.9

However,

Works perfectly, with LTRay's formula on my LM-2
    This is good information.

You're saying, the same exact setup works for a while, and then just instantly goes to the 500 numbers.

Does it do this live, while you're actively scanning, or does it only do it between two separate scans?
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Between scans, and once it switches it never switches back until new program rev load.

Tuner in Training
    Kieth, is there any progress for the ECM AFM 1500? Do you need additional information from what LSxpwrdZ provided in post #83? A progress update for the AFM 1500 users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jon