Thread: Correct dash fuel consumption?

Tuner in Training

Correct dash fuel consumption?

Low priority...but just one of those things that is bugging me. My fuel consumption or gallons used is always quite a bit off. I am wondering if there is a place to correct this in the tune? I haven't found anything, but thought maybe someone knows where that calculation information comes from. I have correct my speedometer but I just don't know how to correct the gallons used or whatever fuel usage data the computer uses to calculate MPG. Oh, this is on my 2013 Ecoboost F150.
    2003 Suburban beater
    2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins - Hoping HPT adds support for it soon
    SOLD - Too many timing chains...2013 FX4 SuperCrew - EcoBust - 6.5' Box - Black FX Appearance Package - Tuning

It seems as this isn't limited to just the older F150's. My '15, when entirely stock, was off as well. I had kept track of gallons to fill, and the indicated fuel mileage, both of which were off.

Might be splitting hairs though, but it would be nice for it to be 100% accurate. I believe all of that is contained in the cluster strategy though unfortunately.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Tuner in Training
    Just one of those things that annoys the crap out of me. Maybe there's a way to scale whatever value the cluster(BCM?) is using to calculate the fuel usage.
    2003 Suburban beater
    SOLD - Too many timing chains...2013 FX4 SuperCrew - EcoBust - 6.5' Box - Black FX Appearance Package - Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know about Fords but in GM stuff the injection flow rates and offsets effect the dash display. Basically if you say the injectors are flowing twice as much, the fuel used display will read twice as much fuel used. V3.0 also added "Fuel Density" for us GM guys, it directly changes the displayed fuel use values. Look in the injection sections and make sure you don't have something in there to tweak the display.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    I don't know about Fords but in GM stuff the injection flow rates and offsets effect the dash display. Basically if you say the injectors are flowing twice as much, the fuel used display will read twice as much fuel used. V3.0 also added "Fuel Density" for us GM guys, it directly changes the displayed fuel use values. Look in the injection sections and make sure you don't have something in there to tweak the display.
    We have a fuel density setting and some other fuel tweaks that may affect the dash reading. I just don't know what other calculations they would be used in.
    Fuel options.JPG
    2003 Suburban beater

Quote Originally Posted by 13EcoScrew View Post
    We have a fuel density setting and some other fuel tweaks that may affect the dash reading. I just don't know what other calculations they would be used in.
    Fuel options.JPG
    Those are the settings for the HPFP control and Fuel Rail Temp algorithms. Not for the dash.
    There is a separate map for the dash consumption elsewhere I believe, but those have no effect to my knowledge.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    Those are the settings for the HPFP control and Fuel Rail Temp algorithms. Not for the dash.
    There is a separate map for the dash consumption elsewhere I believe, but those have no effect to my knowledge.
    That's what I was afraid of. I will dig around and look for another map, but I haven't found it yet.
    2003 Suburban beater