Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flex Fuel: How to Guide - Who wants to see it?

I already did

Quote Originally Posted by thegraystang View Post
    I already did
    Whoops, how about a log?

Anymore update to the "How to guide"

Advanced Tuner
    I always like a good "step by step" guide.

Advanced Tuner
    I enabled flex on mine last night and did a few runs on pump 93, which the logs as 9.8% ethanol. Car runs great just like it did before flipping the flex fuel switch. Now what I am trying to figure out is what tables need to be adjusted to that it will add timing as E% goes up.

Edit:

So I took some time to read the descriptions and looked at a post made on page 2 and think I figured the spark out.

so hopefully someone more knowledgable than me can correct me if I am wrong. But the way I have the modifier and multiplier set it will do the following:

At e30 it will add 30% of 4.5*, which would be 1.35* of spark advance
    At e35 it will add 45% of 4.5*, which would be 2.00* of spark advance
    At e40 it will add 90% of 4.5*, which would be 4.05* of spark advance
    At e60 and above it will add 100% of 4.5*, which would be 4.5* of spark advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jn2; 06-17-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I just tuned a friend's Coyote and would love to try this out but he still has stock injectors. I've been looking at all the tables trying to get an understanding of everything. A guide would be cool.

I would be a little concerned about the possible effects of an exhaust leak with this but would love to try it out.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    I just tuned a friend's Coyote and would love to try this out but he still has stock injectors. I've been looking at all the tables trying to get an understanding of everything. A guide would be cool.

I would be a little concerned about the possible effects of an exhaust leak with this but would love to try it out.
    From what I have heard stock injectors on 11-14 Coyotes can handle e85 on stock injectors and stock manifold. 15+ has smaller injectors so they cannot. I am running stock injectors and plan on running a e47 mix until I get LU47's

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    I enabled flex on mine last night and did a few runs on pump 93, which the logs as 9.8% ethanol. Car runs great just like it did before flipping the flex fuel switch. Now what I am trying to figure out is what tables need to be adjusted to that it will add timing as E% goes up.

Edit:

So I took some time to read the descriptions and looked at a post made on page 2 and think I figured the spark out.

so hopefully someone more knowledgable than me can correct me if I am wrong. But the way I have the modifier and multiplier set it will do the following:

At e30 it will add 30% of 4.5*, which would be 1.35* of spark advance
    At e35 it will add 45% of 4.5*, which would be 2.00* of spark advance
    At e40 it will add 90% of 4.5*, which would be 4.05* of spark advance
    At e60 and above it will add 100% of 4.5*, which would be 4.5* of spark advance
    Funny I cant find the modifier table in my own personal 16 gt or the 2 other 15 gt's I have in the shop. hmmm

Senior Tuner
    From what I have heard stock injectors on 11-14 Coyotes can handle e85 on stock injectors and stock manifold. 15+ has smaller injectors so they cannot. I am running stock injectors and plan on running a e47 mix until I get LU47's
    I'll get together with my friend and fill up with E85 and tweak the tune then log to see if it leans out more than what it's targeting. Well I guess see if it hits very positive fuel trims trims at high load. I wish we could log IDC on the Coyote Mustang.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll get together with my friend and fill up with E85 and tweak the tune then log to see if it leans out more than what it's targeting. Well I guess see if it hits very positive fuel trims trims at high load. I wish we could log IDC on the Coyote Mustang.
    You could do a 50/50 mix of e85 and 93, that will give you most of the ethanol benefit with out majorly taxing the injectors. It's how I plan on running my car on stock injectors.

Senior Tuner
    I was thinking about a mix a while back and it's how I would do it but I'm afraid to tune his car that way and then if he doesn't continue to run a mix he could be leaning the car out. I was thinking if I find the injectors are maxing out I could tell him to run a mix and then at least pull timing out over E60 or something for a safety net if he runs too much E85.

It is the 15s that can handle e85 on stock injectors so long as the stock intake manifold is used.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinogt View Post
    It is the 15s that can handle e85 on stock injectors so long as the stock intake manifold is used.
    I must be losing my damn mind. None of the 15 files I have, have the modifiers. What am I missing here lol

Senior Tuner
    The conflicting things about whether it's the 11-14 or 15 that can run on E85 with just minor bolt ons is getting me. Being able to log IDC would really be nice. Any workaround to log it?

Advanced Tuner
    I was thinking about a mix a while back and it's how I would do it but I'm afraid to tune his car that way and then if he doesn't continue to run a mix he could be leaning the car out. I was thinking if I find the injectors are maxing out I could tell him to run a mix and then at least pull timing out over E60 or something for a safety net if he runs too much E85.
    That is not the case, flex fuel logic is just that, flex fuel. you can run e10(pump gas) to e85 and anything in between and the car will adjust and not lean out unless you run too high a ethanol mix and run out of fuel.

I just logged a e36 run on my 13' commanding .86@WOT and it ran fine, no lean spikes. This was on the CJ manifold revving to 7600 rpm. I am going to try a e47 mix as soon as I am able to add more fuel since I filled the tank last night. Seeing how e47 should be running around .88 lambda at WOT I expect it to be fine as well.
    Last edited by Jn2; 06-18-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I meant that if it starts to lean out I'll adjust the timing with the modifier to keep it safe if he ever gets too high of ethanol content mixed by mistake... Allow it to max out at E50 but start pulling after for example. If it's even necessary.

Being able to run E85 leaner will definitely help though. We'll slowly up his ethanol content and monitor to see if it starts to lean out.

Advanced Tuner
    I meant that if it starts to lean out I'll adjust the timing with the modifier to keep it safe if he ever gets too high of ethanol content mixed by mistake... Allow it to max out at E50 but start pulling after for example. If it's even necessary.

Being able to run E85 leaner will definitely help though. We'll slowly up his ethanol content and monitor to see if it starts to lean out.
    That is correct, you could set the modifier to be (-4) or something like that at the e60 point, that way it will remove timing as e content goes up past e60 to help prevent engine damage from being too lean and running max spark advance.

And ethanol should be ran leaner as that is the point of running ethanol in the first place, you can run a leaner mix to make more power because of how well ethanol resists pre ignition.

Advanced Tuner

And ethanol should be ran leaner as that is the point of running ethanol in the first place, you can run a leaner mix to make more power because of how well ethanol resists pre ignition.
    I don't subscribe to that idea with these cars. They like more timing and more fuel as I have experienced tuning 93, e85 and MS109.

Senior Tuner
    Cool. I was planning on using VirtualDyno and leaning it out a little at a time with the same timing to see the results. I read many talk about tuning at 0.85 NA but found on the one I tuned that it did better around 0.83 with a little more timing.

There has been a spark modifier defined yet for the 15s