Thread: Question about open loop EQ ratios and gain settings when tuning in VE

Advanced Tuner

Question about open loop EQ ratios and gain settings when tuning in VE

Question for you guys...
    When you are tuning in the VE table with the AFR error method, do you set all the open loop EQ ratio and gains to 1 across the board? Everything in the red box in the picture below?

I've read a tutorial here on HPT that says to do this. But I'm not sure why this is needed because the AFR error is factoring in the commanded AFR...so why would it matter if IVT or ECT gains are moving it around a bit?

OL.jpg
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Any help here fellas? Could really use some advice on this.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

I usually set fueling to a 1 above 140*. Easier to do that than chase a moving target imo.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Leave lower/cold startup areas alone. Higher areas you can set to 1 for OL tuning.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    I believe the theory behind setting the modifier tables to 1, is to prevent them from changing fueling while you are trying to calibrate the VE table. Sounds like a great idea, provided that the environmental conditions remain unchanged: IE, the car is in a shop. For street tuning, I'm not so sure. I have had better results using STFT / error.

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Leave lower/cold startup areas alone. Higher areas you can set to 1 for OL tuning.
    ^^^^^ Agree

Leave the area's below 147F IVT and 176F ECT stock to assist in cold start enrichment. Open loop tuning is my preference because it precludes chaning the trims and more importantly the E38 rich after flash is almost a non-issue in open loop...a lot less frustrations :-) The only issue is you need a wide band (which you should have anyways to do WOT tuning) and if you are going to use the trims (which is fine as well) use one of the built in parameters 1) If LTFT disabled -- STFT (average of both banks) or 2) if LTFT enabled -- the LTFT+STFT (average of both LT and ST). Also don't forget in all cases to reset the trims through the VCM control before each scanning session

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the input on the open loop tables. I appreciate it.

I've got a wideband and I'm tuning via AFR error method rather than trims. One question I did have about this. I don't see anywhere where I turn off STFT's? (E38 upgraded to 2 bar OS). I see where I turn off LTFT's and have done so. But I don't see any sections for STFT. Am I missing something here?

In my open loop VE tuning data logs....I've got no LTFT or STFT activity. So I'm 99% sure that STFT are turned off. But I was just wondering.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Tuner
    I'm not sure why they would need to be changed at all. You are comparing commanded AFR to WB AFR; what the commanded afr is doesn't matter so long as you know what is being commanded.
    Rob

2017 Chevrolet SS 6mt LSA
    Prior - 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT LSA
    Old - 1998 BMW 540I Supercharged 402 LS2/T-56 swap
    Older - 1992 BMW 325i 402 LS2/T-56 swap
    Very old - 1995 BMW M3/ 402 LS2/T-56 swap

Open loop will disable the STFT's....again good idea to reset trims before each logging session...belt and suspender protection.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Got it. Thanks Ed.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors