Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with abs system 2012 jeep wrangler

Tuner in Training

help with abs system 2012 jeep wrangler

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to shut off the abs system in our 2012 wrangler jk, and I've run into some issues.

A little background on the vehicle.. 2012 jeep wrangler, front dana 60 from a ford one ton truck, rear gm 14 bolt from a 2500hd, factory 3.6l pentastar engine and nag1 automatic trans. The vehicle now has full hydrolic steering which causes the steering wheel to constantly rotate slightly. This has broken the clockspring so now the steering angle sensor is malfunctioning as well. We opted out of using selectable lockers in hopes of shutting off the abs system. Last year we managed to limp through by tricking the system into working. Upon purcahsing HP tuners this year, we have begun trying to modify the computer set up to shut abs off completely.

Is it possible to completely shut down the abs?

Last night I threw a tune into the jeep that shut off the three esp control values.. FSO, Trans control and Spark I believe they are. When we we went to drive the jeep this morning, the jeep seemed ok through first second and third gear, but once in third it would not shift anymore. Would not go up or down. I removed this tune and put the factory tune back in it and we were worse off, the jeep wouldn't even shift out of 1st. We completely removed the HP tuners set up from the jeep and tried going back to the super chips set up that we used last year just to limp the jeep by for the weekend and still same issues.

My thoughts are that because of the broken steering angle sensor, combined with the lack of abs.. the jeep just doesnt know when to shift or what to really do. I'm curious if I were to shut off the esp system again, and teach my own shift points through tuning, if that would allow the jeep to shift and drive some what normally again. I'm some what out of ideas here. We only use these vehicles for offroading so abs, esp and traction control are useless to me. Is there any way I can eliminate these systems on this specific vehicle? Either the way I'm thinking it would work, by programming my own shift points, or some other way that maybe you guys know will work that I have yet to find?

Thanks for your help,

AJ Maunder
    D3 Offroad

Tuner in Training
    if it's not possible to tune out the abs system, is it possible to tune out the limp mode that is a result of an unplugged or unhappy abs system?

Senior Tuner
    The lack of shifting actually points to an incorrect gear ratio calculation by the TCM and subsequent limp mode. Have you addressed gear and tire size changes for the TCM yet?

Senior Tuner
    If you set the displacement in ENGINE>General tab to 0.00, it will shut off all ESP and ABS. This is a dangerous route to go but will allow the car to shift and run like normal.

You will get lights in the dash, but can be turned off in the diagnostic tabs of the Engine and Trans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    If you set the displacement in ENGINE>General tab to 0.00, it will shut off all ESP and ABS. This is a dangerous route to go but will allow the car to shift and run like normal.

You will get lights in the dash, but can be turned off in the diagnostic tabs of the Engine and Trans.
    how is it dangerous?? just cause those items are disabled? or will something else happen??

Senior Tuner
    Yes just having those items disabled could be dangerous, nothing else is going to happen

Tuner in Training

Thank you, I will try this and see where it gets me. I have made the changes to tire size and gear ratio. it gets tricky with this set up because the tooth count on the front tone rings is 60 rather than the factory 52. That is partially why I want to disable the abs. If it's not looking for tooth count then I shouldn't have the issues causing it to go limp and not shift.

Hopefully this will fix my lack of shifting issue, then I can finally get into tuning the jeep for what I want it to do.

Thank you

Tuner in Training

does it make a difference if the abs sensors are there or not? Right now the front 2 are in and the rears are jumped off of the front, just wondering if I shut the system off completely will the vehicle need these sensors still for any other functions?

Tuner in Training

we tried this tonight, and same issue. the jeep drove down the road, shifted its way up to third then went limp and go stuck there. We brought the jeep back altered the tire size and gear ratio and now its stuck in first. ABS sensors are still only connected in the front with the backs jumpered off the fronts.

Just wondering why changing the displacement to 0.00 would turn off abs and esp or am I missing another step here?

Senior Tuner
    There usually two displacement identifiers. One tells the ECU the actual engine displacement to use in fuel and airflow calculations. The other describes to the ECU the engine type/configuration and has an effect on CAN BUS communications when it is changed. Make sure you are changing the correct one. It's not a cure all though. The Trans and TB can still command a limp mode if it needs to. I would make any tire size changes prior to shutting all of the ABS ESP stuff off so the TPIM can distribute the changes properly to all modules.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    There usually two displacement identifiers. One tells the ECU the actual engine displacement to use in fuel and airflow calculations. The other describes to the ECU the engine type/configuration and has an effect on CAN BUS communications when it is changed. Make sure you are changing the correct one. It's not a cure all though. The Trans and TB can still command a limp mode if it needs to. I would make any tire size changes prior to shutting all of the ABS ESP stuff off so the TPIM can distribute the changes properly to all modules.
    When you shut off the abs the way 300srt said.. do you also need to go into trans and disable the esp control thru spark fso and tranny?

Senior Tuner
    No, once you change displacement it 100% shuts off everything and anything to do with stability control (ABS, traction control)

Tuner in Training
    No, once you change displacement it 100% shuts off everything and anything to do with stability control (ABS, traction control)
    I'm at a loss though.. we changed that and the vehicle still seemed to do the same. Is it still looking for the abs sensors? Or is it possible that because the clockspring is broken the steering angle sensor is still reading? I assumed that woukd be disabled as well as it is part of the abs system.

Senior Tuner
    To me that means the ABS system is not your issue, the tone rings are used for traction control and ABS. Is your only symptom your transmission gear selection? What codes are coming up in the PCM/TCM?

Tuner in Training
    To me that means the ABS system is not your issue, the tone rings are used for traction control and ABS. Is your only symptom your transmission gear selection? What codes are coming up in the PCM/TCM?
    It's not showing any code through the reader on hp ir through another.. a Chrysler tech told me it's probably storing a code in the tcm but we may not have access to see it.
    Basically after we made the change the jeep drove to third gear then went limp in third and was stuck there. Upon returning to the shop and shutting it off it went into first and was stuck there.

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried to read the codes using the 2.0 older version of the HP Tuners? There are no codes that pretty basic scan tool would not be able to read. Limp mode 100% of the time throws a code, gotta get down to basics here and decipher the limp mode, kind of throwing $hit at the wall trying to fix this rig until you get there.

I am banking my money on the 60 count tone rings as the issue, gear ratio is in fact checked by the tone ring vs output shaft. That said, you prob just need to play with it and tell it a different gear ratio that will make it happy again. Or you can try to go into the TRANS DIAG and just turn off both MIL and SES check boxes for P0730.

EDIT: What are your actual gears in the front and rear diffs?

Senior Tuner
    Seems like you need this:

http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-1-...ing_p_528.html

Seems like they make a 52 count tone ring for the front axle you are running, swap out those 60 count rings and you should be good. Never going to be able to get your PCM happy to have a different gear ratio detected by the TCM front to rear.
    Last edited by 06300CSRT8; 03-30-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Seems like you need this:

http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-1-...ing_p_528.html

Seems like they make a 52 count tone ring for the front axle you are running, swap out those 60 count rings and you should be good. Never going to be able to get your PCM happy to have a different gear ratio detected by the TCM front to rear.
    Actual gear ratio is 5. 38 but we've done the calculations and told the computer that it's 4.66 gears with 37.75inch tires to accommodate the tone ring difference

Senior Tuner
    You cannot have a different gear ratio front to rear. Having different count tone rings front and rear will make the TCM believe you have two different gear ratios running, itll never be happy.

BTW, the tire height setting is only to calibrate the speedo. The only gear ratio the TCM checks or cares about is the output shaft rpm versus the axle, which is fixed no matter what tire you run. Tire size only effects how fast the vehicle will be moving relative to the axle speed.

Tuner in Training
    You cannot have a different gear ratio front to rear. Having different count tone rings front and rear will make the TCM believe you have two different gear ratios running, itll never be happy.

BTW, the tire height setting is only to calibrate the speedo. The only gear ratio the TCM checks or cares about is the output shaft rpm versus the axle, which is fixed no matter what tire you run. Tire size only effects how fast the vehicle will be moving relative to the axle speed.
    Right now the rear sensors are tied into the fronts so the tone ring count is the same. But we may have to switch it to the rear.. we've discussed this before.