Thread: Disabling Security

Advanced Tuner

Disabling Security

Hey I have a buddy of mine, with a 1997 Buick Skylark with the 3.1L V6. I did a read and got the stock file from the car.

I am just looking to disable the Security for him, since he is having some issues with the security system. I know normally, it has the option of None under the drop down box in VATS Control. This one does not.

It is current set with Serial, has anyone tried switching it to PWM to see what it actually did. Just curious if it would keep it from starting at all being it is not seeing the correct information, or would it just start up cause of not getting the right information.

I know this is a dumb one, and no cool modification tuning. Just looking to help him out and don't want to purchase a license for the car and it not ended working out.

Attached is the tune file and also a screenshot of the VATS Control drop down box.

VATS Control.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Not dumb at all. That's exactly what I had to do to disable my VATS equipped 3.1 The whole process is described in the write up at the top of this section. Just make sure to set all the DTC's associated with antitheft to "3 No Error Reported" as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    Not dumb at all. That's exactly what I had to do to disable my VATS equipped 3.1 The whole process is described in the write up at the top of this section. Just make sure to set all the DTC's associated with antitheft to "3 No Error Reported" as well.
    Awesome man, thanks for that point out. I found the write up that you mentioned. Should have looked through the sticky post first.
    Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    So I tried this today on my buddy's car. And I set all the security codes to "no error report". And I set the VATS Control to PWM, and did a write calibration. I started the car up and it was running pretty bad, when it ran perfectly fine before making the changes. So I went back in and set VATS Control back to serial. Did a write calibration. Started it up and was running back to normal like before.

I did not have much time to mess with the car, being he was on his lunch break and only had a couple of minutes.

So did I go wrong by not doing a Write Entire? Or do you think it will keep the security from acting up by just setting the codes to No Error Report?

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    No, unfortunately you'll actually have to disable the VATS too. I'm pretty sure when I did mine it was using: Write Entire. I also remember a thread of past where the VATS switch may have been assigned backwards in certain tunes so if you still have trouble after another attempt with Write Entire, send a copy of the tune with an infolog while attatched to the vehicle to support with a brief discription of what you've done so far.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    No, unfortunately you'll actually have to disable the VATS too. I'm pretty sure when I did mine it was using: Write Entire. I also remember a thread of past where the VATS switch may have been assigned backwards in certain tunes so if you still have trouble after another attempt with Write Entire, send a copy of the tune with an infolog while attatched to the vehicle to support with a brief discription of what you've done so far.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be trying it again and doing a Write Entire. To see if it makes a difference and if not. Then definitely will hit up the support team.