Thread: VE Table question

Tuner in Training

VE Table question

Do the numbers in the VE table (GEN III) represent the percent of fill in the cylinder? Example..

A number of 105 would represent the cylinder is filled to 105% capacity?

It's not a capacity reading but a cylinder airmass reading.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Is that a no? I understand it is a cylinder air mass reading. I'm curious if the actual number shown is the actual volumetric efficiency of the motor in a percent.

Tuner in Training
    There is also a % sign on the 3d VE graph which I'm also curious as to what this % represents. I figured the density or mass would be determined by the VE in conjunction with the IAT and MAP to determine air mass.

I have a NA car stock motor that has VE values over 100 at WOT. I am at sea level on the coast line.

Excuse my ignorance please thank you in advance and I apologize if I am completely missing the response 5FDP gave me.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 5FDP for the article.

It's something I hope HPT changes... I'd like to see the VE table in g/sec... not a percent. It's airflow. Right now, the number is abstract and ties to a calculation. But I'd like to see calculated airflow. EFILive allows for it.

Tuner in Training
    It isn't adstract. I found the answer out and in Gen III the number you are seeing in the VE table is the VE in a %.

So any number you see on the table is the VE of the motor in a percent. 92 means you have 92 percent fill of your cylinder based off of the calculated displacement.

It's a calculated number based on airflow requirements. It is not the actual VE of the motor. It's the calculated airmass. In EFILive, I can display this as g/sec to get a true comparison to the MAF transfer table. Both are calculated, but if you can see they are the same, you know you are tuning consistently. The other option is to use the MAF tuning to actually fill out the VE table. But it's a good check to tune them independently.

Most Gen 3 OS have ability to log PID for airflow in g/sec or you can easily calculate it from cylinder airmass and rpm for those setups that exceed 512g/sec.

Which I do. But it still isn't seamless. And since the OS can do it and it's supported elsewhere, it's just not great that it isn't supported natively in the tuning software. That's my issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
    Which I do. But it still isn't seamless. And since the OS can do it and it's supported elsewhere, it's just not great that it isn't supported natively in the tuning software. That's my issue.
    If there is a product you like more, why are you here?

Tuner in Training
    JakeFusion in the VE table you can see RPM, KPA and %. Can you explain the purpose of the % sign in the VE table?

I'm only referring to Gen III.