Thread: Desired Throttle Area (Axis Type) VSS/RPM

Potential Tuner

Desired Throttle Area (Axis Type) VSS/RPM

Hello; I have a 2010 Colorado and in the file for this vehicle under the Electronic Throttle tab, there is a Desired Throttle Area with a tab that says (Axis Type). The option is VSS or RPM, mine is set on VSS. I noticed that a Corvette file is set on RPM. So just experimenting I set mine to RPM, and the truck ran 100 percent better, it really ran great. But after a couple miles it went into LIMP mode and flashed Traction Control fault in the dash. I was on my way home so I just flashed the VSS calibration back into it and went home. My question is, is there a way I can change this tab to RPM and make it work? Does anyone know what other table I might have to change to get it to work? The truck really ran so much better with it set to RPM but of course I can keep changing it in and out of LIMP MODE.

Under Engine > Airflow > Electronic Throttle > Desired Throttle Area (where you found Axis Type),
    open up each Map you have (A, B, C, D) and right click on the axis that has the rpm's listed and edit that axis to reflect vehicle speeds (mph) instead of engine speed (rpm).
    not sure if you need to change anything else.
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Potential Tuner
    Thank you I kinda thought those were the tables I would need to change. I guess I'm a little scared to do it because when you move the cursor over them it says "CHANGE THESE TABLES AT YOUR OWN RISK" that it could render the ECM permanently inoperable. Have you done this without incident?

I wouldn't chance it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the advice, I was worried about it.

I have not done it, but I have reviewed a few factory tunes from the same car/engine/ECU where GM changes from RPM to VSS from one year to the next. Obviously, the RPM breakpoints don't line up with the VSS breakpoints used, so naturally, the values of the cells need changing too.

If you're set on doing it, search the tune repository for factory tunes with the most similar hardware that uses VSS.
    That warning applies to the table values themselves. I understand something in the TB can freak out if he modified values are wildly out of the current range.
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled