Thread: Is there a good histogram method out there for logging KR against IAT temps?

Advanced Tuner

Is there a good histogram method out there for logging KR against IAT temps?

I'd like to keep a histogram running that logs KR against IAT as one of the axis. Most KR histograms I see log it against airmass and rpm. Would it make sense to create a histogram that logs KR against airmass and IAT? It would lose what rpm the knock is occurring at but is it possible to get it right by just looking at the cyl airmass?

Hopefully I am making myself clear. I'm open to any ideas on how to set this up properly. IAT's become so important for PD superchargers. You might get no KR at 120 IAT...but at 130-140 might be a different story. Looking for ways to log this.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

just a wild idea here from a new guy...

you could log IAT against airmass and rpm, then filter it by KR > 0
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmmm. I understand the concept you are trying to suggest. But I don't know how to pull that off in scanner. I'll have to look at the tables and settings later and see.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Hmmmm. I understand the concept you are trying to suggest. But I don't know how to pull that off in scanner. I'll have to look at the tables and settings later and see.
    Every time you have knock you will see the IAT temp displayed in the cell referenced to airmass and RPM at the time of the event. The problem is the scanner will average the cell contents so if there is more than one event in a specific airmass/rpm cell, the IAT value will be an average as well. You can kind of get around that by zooming into a specific event (only event in the view) and use the View Zoom data only option. You can scroll through your log in this fashion and manually isolate each event standalone.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

you'd have min and max to look at as well.
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Every time you have knock you will see the IAT temp displayed in the cell referenced to airmass and RPM at the time of the event. The problem is the scanner will average the cell contents so if there is more than one event in a specific airmass/rpm cell, the IAT value will be an average as well. You can kind of get around that by zooming into a specific event (only event in the view) and use the View Zoom data only option. You can scroll through your log in this fashion and manually isolate each event standalone.

Ed M
    Thanks Ed. I didn't realize that you could zoom in on a view and have the histogram data show only events there. Do you just zoom into the event on the chart and then the histograms automatically update to only show that data? Or is there some "view zoom data only" button I need to select in the histogram?
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
    Thanks Ed. I didn't realize that you could zoom in on a view and have the histogram data show only events there. Do you just zoom into the event on the chart and then the histograms automatically update to only show that data? Or is there some "view zoom data only" button I need to select in the histogram?
    Button, just above the graph....

Ed M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Very cool. That's a slick feature I didn't know about. Perfect way to get KR by IAT. Thanks Ed.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    ID1000 Injectors
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners