Thread: VCT Distance to OP

VCT Distance to OP

Can anyone define this parameter *VCT Distance to OP*? I've tried just about everything trying to get Map Point OP to stay once WOT and haven't had much luck. Anyone have any Tips?

MP OP.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    I believe it is the distance your intake cam phase angle is from the position it would be in under OP mode. YOu have a lot of PIDS being logged at once. You seem to get a better idea of whats going on with these PIDs that rapidly change in value if you look at the mapped points using the chart vs time.

PID vs CHART-TIME.PNG

It's much more noticeable tracing it like you said in the graph. Next time I'll remove most the PIDS and up the Rate. What I've tried so far is lowering the OP load point and Throttle position but it still drops out. I've tired lowering the Best drive ability Max table too to .60 and no go. VCT Mode shows Optimum performance the whole time which doesn't make sense. If VCT to OP is what you say, then how can I be at -44 cam angle and it's saying i'm 17degrees away from OP which is set at a -44 target? Am I reading the desired location and it physically hasn't hit the actual angle and that's the distance before it will go to MP OP?

MP OP.png
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 10-09-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I did see that point in the chart. I couldn't determine exactly what MP was taking the weight. I believe it was 1,2, or 3. Since your load was not low at that point I can only assume you're hitting a torque limit or traction control of some kind. It may not have showed in your sources due to the amount of PIDs.

Deleted some PIDs and up the rates on the Map points and source limits. Still not seeing anything. Any other ideas?

MP OP2.png

map OP.hpl

Senior Tuner
    What kind of throttle body does this car have? WOT and you only are seeing 1.53* of ETC throttle angle. Unless this is the limit you are hitting causing this.

The distance to optimum power parameter is a measure of the actual 2D distance to OP. That is, if OP is (-30, 20) and you're at (-20, 10), it's sqrt((-20-(-30))^2 + (10 - 20)^2) = 14.14.
    It's used in helping determine transient spark modification.

If you are instead wondering why your weighting isn't going 100% OP, that's normal with it enabled. The HDFX algorithm calculates a weighting from current cam position to ALL of the points. Even if you're close to the OP point with it enabled, you can still get weights at the other locations, as well, the weighting for the OP point is always active, so there's a "bending" function so that you can reduce the weight it has for conditions where you may want less significance on its effect. It isn't instantly locked to 100% weight guaranteed while in optimum power mode. The area where its not, look at what other mapped point you may be near. If your cam position is nearby, that's the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    What kind of throttle body does this car have? WOT and you only are seeing 1.53* of ETC throttle angle. Unless this is the limit you are hitting causing this.
    CJ Monoblade. I know there is some ETC error that needs to be worked out still. It's basically copied from the CJ file right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    The distance to optimum power parameter is a measure of the actual 2D distance to OP. That is, if OP is (-30, 20) and you're at (-20, 10), it's sqrt((-20-(-30))^2 + (10 - 20)^2) = 14.14.
    It's used in helping determine transient spark modification.

If you are instead wondering why your weighting isn't going 100% OP, that's normal with it enabled. The HDFX algorithm calculates a weighting from current cam position to ALL of the points. Even if you're close to the OP point with it enabled, you can still get weights at the other locations, as well, the weighting for the OP point is always active, so there's a "bending" function so that you can reduce the weight it has for conditions where you may want less significance on its effect. It isn't instantly locked to 100% weight guaranteed while in optimum power mode. The area where its not, look at what other mapped point you may be near. If your cam position is nearby, that's the reason.
    Still trying to absorb this one. Very good info. So you're saying if i were to change the VCT angles to be further away from the current OP target angle, OP weight would take priority? It sounds like the Bend Tables that aren't really defined in the current software could be helpful here?
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 10-10-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I see MP 10 taking some of the weight. MP 10 is used in the stability mode. This mode is also used for torque traction control. I also see the commanded gear switch back and forth from 2nd and 3rd a few times around 6200RPMS which is more evidence of traction control. I know in my car in 2nd if I go full throttle at 4500RPMS I will hit traction control. Im sure your car will too. you can set the traction control system to 0 to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    I see MP 10 taking some of the weight. MP 10 is used in the stability mode. This mode is also used for torque traction control. I also see the commanded gear switch back and forth from 2nd and 3rd a few times around 6200RPMS which is more evidence of traction control. I know in my car in 2nd if I go full throttle at 4500RPMS I will hit traction control. Im sure your car will too. you can set the traction control system to 0 to disable it.
    I did noticed the switching back and fourth from 2nd to 3rd a few times also wasn't sure what to make of it. Traction control was off on the dash, but i know that doesn't completley kill it. Traction makes sense. I'll try zeroing the traction control and see what happens. Thanks Murfie

Senior Tuner
    Was it traction control? I have a log from last night of a car doing something very similar.

Tuner
    Would cyliar anticipation have anything to do with it, for some reason i cant get my car in op, onlything left now is cyliar anticipation

Senior Tuner
    2015 doesn't have OP enabled in the stock tune. You have to enable it in the mapped points and populate the tables.

I noticed you just posted about his 2015 is why I said that by the way. We're getting in OP mode but having weight pulled from OP to different tables.

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Was it traction control? I have a log from last night of a car doing something very similar.
    I've tried disabling traction control and it didnt seem to help. So far i haven't been able to keep it in MP OP. I'm still trying some things though, I was going to raise stability min to 5 and see if that helps.

Senior Tuner
    I didn't think so because the car I had it happen on was just a bolt on car that didn't seem to have traction issues in 3rd gear. I took the easy way out for now and set the last two rows of my spark tables to the same as OP.