Thread: OBD2 shows zero psi oil pressure, gauge shows too much oil pressure

OBD2 shows zero psi oil pressure, gauge shows too much oil pressure

On my 2013 Buick Regal Turbo, the oil pressure is controlled by the computer but when I plug a scanner into the OBD2 port, the oil pressure is shown as zero. When I check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, it's quite high, over 100 psi at high rpm. The sensor seems to be just a 1 wire sensor and I assume that it's resistance changes as oil pressure changes, but grounding it out makes no difference. I can't find a pin on the ECM that is supposed to be for oil control, does anybody have any ideas?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    that sounds like normal pressure.
    the motor should be 35-40 psi around idle then for every 1k rpm increase add 10 psi on a standard pump. some ecotec's run lower at idle but exponentially make up for it as rpm increases. so by 6000 rpm you should be at or just above 100 psi and at 7000 you should be anywhere from ~110-120. motors will vary but if thats what your at then oil pressure is fine.
    Also, there is currently no way to change the oil pressure settings using hpt. the above statements are why when you do a ldk swap you do not need to worry about controlling the pressure...because the default on the pump is still within normal conditions.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Thanks for the answer, it seemed very high to me. Sorry about the double post. I would have gone back and edited title if I knew how and kept it to one thread. Can you help me figure out why oil pressure is zero on an OBD2 scan? I have changed settings from "switch" to "sensor" but neither one changed anything.

AS I told you...
    It is a switch.