Thread: Looking for some AFR and timing advice

Advanced Tuner

Looking for some AFR and timing advice

Hi guys. I'm looking for some input on what I should target for AFR and timing for WOT.

Here's my set up:
    2010 LS3 Camaro
    Stock internals
    Kenne Bell 2.8 supercharger running 8 psi
    1 7/8 Headers with HF cats
    Stock 2.5" exhaust from cats to my Flowmaster Pro series axle back
    ID1000 injectors with ZL1 pump with ADM FPCM (plenty of fuel)

I'll be tuning for 91 octane pump gas. My current thoughts are something in the range of 11.0-11.5 AFR, and 14-17 degrees timing.

Anyone care to share some LS3 insights for PD superchargers?

Interested in this too. I believe Ghuggins has some experience with PD blowers, maybe he'll chime in

Advanced Tuner
    Those numbers are probably in the ballpark, but every combo likes what it likes. There are no fixed rules.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I hear you there. Not sure how much dyno time I'll be able to get to really play around with everything. Will do plenty of street tuning and do plan to go to the dyno for some pulls. But I know to really dial this in to hit max hp/tq levels you really need to throw different scenarios at it and see what it likes.

Bring in PE early. Watch your transition into boost and STFT's. Make sure you're in PE as you're crossing the line into boost. You'll know because your STFT's go to 0. 11.5 is plenty rich enough, but start out commanding 11.0. Back the timing down below 14, get your fuel dialed in and flat across the board. Change your commanded back to 11.5, make a pull and then start carefully bringing timing back in. If you get a huge gain from 1 degree added, you're usually far from MBT, but I would still recommend creeping up on it until you get diminished gains.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Here are some general "to do's"....

1) Agree with blownbluezO6, take the throttle enable used for stock setup and change to load (kPa)...set map enable to like 80-85 and throttle to 5 from 2000 rpm and up, set 400/800 to 10 and interpolate from 800 to 2000.

2) Air Fuel Ratio isn't as key to torque as timing is...to this set the PE to .75 and timing to like 15sh and work the timing to get to the MBT as stated above. There is more effect relative to timing than AFR so I don't risk running lean so I actual set the AFR on the rich side and work the timing...seems safer to me. I don't recommend leaning out AFR as the risks far out weigh the benefits.

Finding MBT on the street is a bit harder than a dyno, but you can use elapsed time to a specific speed or rpm based on your scanner and keep knock sensors as sensitive as possible.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciate your detailed help here and I understand what you suggested.
    2010 Camaro LS3
    Kenne Bell 2.8 Supercharger
    BTR stage 3 PDS Torque Cam
    Frankenstein M311 heads
    9:1 forged rotating assembly
    Speed Engineering Headers
    ID1000 Injectors
    Twin return fuel fuel pump
    PLX Wideband
    HP Tuners